Looking for a head unit with eq (and XO)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i think it would be better to use 9835 (maybe 2nd hand) than 9855. Most people have proved that (in my country). the 3x series is far more better than the 5x series.

maybe for a cheaper budget you could use the pioneer 57 series ( i don't know the details in USA).

Indubitably. I noticed the sound improvement the first time I turned it on. Now that my sub is getting a clean, unclipped signal at loud volumes, it sounds awesome.

What's next? I don't know yet. I was thinking a diy remote start that will work with the factory alarm. As for sound, I'm done for a while. Maybe in a few months, when I get tired of this setup, I'll start replacing speakers and adding amps. But for now, it's staying the way it is.

Head unit with bells and whistles

Hi,

I think the unit that would be a good buy is from Kenwood. I am in South Africa and two years ago i imported a Kenwood DVD head unit model Z920 . I am sure you will be able to find these, you can do a search on e-bay. These should retail for about $300. This unit comes complete with an amplifier (5 ch), separate sub control, aux input....As for the X/O, it has a parametric eq incl. Q, dual zone capability. There are too many functions to name, but check it out, i'm sure it will do. I have already added on a TV tuner and a 5.1 DSP processor with DTS. This unit can also accept a nav unit, but you will need to have a Kenwood screen (LZ 701 / 800) in order to utilize the supplied remote to control the tv tuner and/or nav unit. There are also many other Kenwood units available that offer the functions above, but the price could be an issue. Happy hunting. :)

Do you guys know if the cda9855 can handle a 4-channel input? All the aux input adapters that I'm seeing online are only 2-channel. There is a digital input on the head-unit, but the manual doesn't say much about it. It only says that when a digital processor and a dvd player are connected, "set D-AUX to ON to enjoy 5.1-channel surround sound." I've also looked thru the signal processor manual, and that only says to connect the Ai-NET cable and an optical cable to the head-unit. It doesn't even say what they are for. I'm assuming that the optical is for cd/radio output to the processor. It looks like the processor needs external amps to drive the speakers. Is there a way to route multichannel signals back to the head-unit and use the built-in amps to drive the speakers?

From what I understand, the optical digital input on the deck will take the signal from the processor (which gets it's signal from a DVD player) and manage the audio to the onboard amps and/or to external amps. It's just like playing a CD except that you now have 5.1 distrete signals.

Although, the Alpine CDA-9855 will only accept signals through the auxialliary connection(s) that are in a stereo format.

Hope this helps!

Now you got me confused. The 9855 manual mentions a digital aux input, but doesn't say much about it. There is no optical connector, just an Ai-NET. So the digital signal is sent through the Ai-NET? Or is there some special adapter that makes this all work? Basically what I'm trying to find out is if I can send 4 discrete channels to the h/u.

The final word on budget SQ.

www.decware.com

pay the $10 for the box plans and other whitepapers. Incuded is an e-book titled Secrets of Car Audio. The author Steve Deckert is a genius about all things audio. Included in the book though is schematics and tips to turn a stock stereo to an SQ competitor with alot less money then buying a new HU. Granted a new HU is probably best, a new HU and that book would put you right up there with SQ competitors.

Seriously, if you don't believe me or whatever, thats great, but its 10 dollars well spent for just the subwoofer boxes the guy has.

The chances of winning anything with the stock HU is minimal, unless you have the available tools and equipment. Many HUs come with equalization and are rarely, optimally matched to aftermarket amplifiers, unless special electronics are implemented to correct for this.

Having said that, Steve is good at dumbing things down for the average person to obtain decent quality from a little money, but I don't think of him as a genius to All Things Audio. Regardless, your post is off topic and if you've read, the head unit was replaced with a top-of-the-class Alpine unit. A very nice unit that I'm quite jealous of not owning.

I am sorry, i must have totally missed where he actually purchased the head unit.

Other than that I don't think I am off topic. I was just saying, Steve's schematic is awesome at taking stock speakers up a level, and non stock speakers up to another level for SQ.

I was under the impression the original poster wanted to spend the least money and sound the best he could, that site there will help him out a ton.

I guess you are right about steve not being a genius about "all" things audio, but he is about car audio and hifi low price is all.

Check out his forums if you want to talk about his sub boxes though. I have built every one of them and have not been disappointed.

Relax, I love his car audio story man! BEST EVER! It shows that Fast and Furious-er vs. hi-fi-audiophile type. Boom Boom can only go so far.

Anyway, what type of enclosures does Steve have, isn't he the one with "death boxes and such?" From what I've seen, he doesn't take into account, thiele small parameters at all.

The Alpine CDA-9855 is key though, you can adjust like a mad-man acoustics engineer and really get terrific sound from stock speakers.
Unhooking the rears and measuring freq. response will allow one to set up the HPF. Unhooking the fronts and running the rears will do the same. Just from setting the crossover settings properly one should be able to net a fantastic improvement from i-personalize. There are a bundle of EQ possibilities to fix any suckouts or obvious deviations from a 'flat' response.

I'm dishearted that Alpine moved the i-Personalize software/hardware up to their very high-end decks. Thus, moving a tremendous technology from the majority of value sound seekers. The lowest model in Canada (from their new line up) with i-Personalize is the DVA-9860.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.