components questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to the diy aspect of incorporating different parts into a component set. The last 4 sets I owned, all came straight from thee manufacturer. I ran across what seemed to be great deal, and figured I would give the diy route a go, however I have a few questions.

I bought A set Of Boston Acoustic RC620 Mids, and A kicker MR-350 crossover ( total cost of everything $35:eek: ). A few specs: I know on these things is that the BA's take 20-285 watts and extend down to 60 hz, and are 4ohms. The Kicker has a crossover point of 350hz, and 3500 or 4500 adjustable, and is also 4ohms.

The components will be run off of a Profile BA400 amp, and will complement a brahma 15" that is ported and tuned to 28 hz.

I am figuring that 350 will be too high of a point for the mids, however, I have a possible solution. The amp i would be running the system off of has a adjustable crossover on it from 50 to 500 hz. It is also a 2 ohm per channel stable amp. So since the mids and the crossovers are both in a 4 ohm configration, I was thinking of wiring the mids and crossovers in series. That way the amp would see a 2ohm load, I could set a crossover for the mids around 80, and then just run tweeters (which I still haven't picked out lol) off of the passive crossovers. From my understanding, then the mids would be run active, while the tweets would be run passive.

Would that work, or would only hooking up tweeters to the crossover somehow effect the performance of the crossover? And if anyone has some good suggestions on some silk tweeters that run under $30 each, and work well with either a 3500 or 4500 hz crossover pt, it wuuld be appreciated.

Yes, I know runnning all active would be better, but I don't have the cash to go active at this time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.