Class T car amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are talking about these ones:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can tell you a few

- Alpine (ej MRD-F752)
- Arc Audio (1500dr)
- Avionixx (AXT series)
- Cerwin Vega (EXL1000D)
- Clarion (DPX1001.2, same amp as Arc 1500dr)
- SPL Dynamics (ej G-400T4)
- Tsunami (DB1800T)
- US Amps Bass Mekanik (PT1100, the one from the picture)

sr20dem0n said:
Why exactly do you want a class t? They arguably have worse sound quality on full range speakers, many people say they just don't sound natural playing full range, why would you want to do that to such nice speakers when there are so many class ab 4ch amps which would perform better for around the same price?

Class T, or Tripath class D, amps do sound better than almost all class AB amps IMO. Futhermore as all class D amps they have much higher efficiency, and therefore higher output power and much lower heat dissipation on the same supply.

Given the fact that most car audio amps in the market use the same pure-class-B circuit without any attempt to solve such an elementary problem as crossover distortion, I think that full range class D is welcome in car-audio. Any Tripath chip or UCD-like self oscillating circuit is likely to perform better than those class B clones if implemented properly.

On the other hand, class D produces the same amount of sound while drawing less than half the current and producing 10 times (or so) less heat than class B/AB, which I consider quite useful features in a vehicle.

Eva said:
On the other hand, class D produces the same amount of sound while drawing less than half the current and producing 10 times (or so) less heat than class B/AB, which I consider quite useful features in a vehicle.

Haha, yeah I'm still looking for a suitable class-d replacement for my class A/B monster. +/-45v supplies, 0.5R stable stereo. It draws WAY too much current.:eek:

Maybe I can chop off the amp section and add a UcD700AD or two in there. :)

y8s said:
ye olde Blaupunkt PA series amps were class T and very small. Power was up to 4x100 watts.

http://carsound.com/articles/publish/article_184.shtml

they were discontinued a long time ago though. I blew mine up. :(

All the blaupunkt amps blew up, and the ones on e-bay were refurbs. between the noise problems and the failure rates and the fact they could not get top dollar for them they were all dumped to e-bay vendors and sold for like $68 each. and for there reliability it was still too much to pay for them.

All the Tripath based car amps are due to be obsolete as Tripath no longer makes replacement chipsets for all these older amps. If I were you I would invest my money in some other companies technology as no one knows when Tripath will be gone. they were in Chapter 11 last I heard.
Even Audiosource dumped and entire product line to e-bay sellers as it was based on tripath chips and without parts there can be no support , just bad business if you try to hold on to a sinking ship like Tripath>
Its been a few months since i last checked but they were looking for fresh financing but they had no new technology and there are several other companies out there that took there profits and re-invested for the future, unlike Tripath as it seems ....
They were hot years ago, but now its just a bad gamble. I know i have two tripath 1200 watt PG amps that are worthless if you know the facts about the main part supplier:whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat:

justonemoreamp, you really haven't got the faintest clue what you're talking about. History's full of examples where it's not the best product that wins but the one with the most financial backing. Tripath had without question in my mind the best product at all but being an upstart company they lacked the financial backing to penestrate the highly competitive class D chip market deep enough to secure a market position.

I would highly recommend buying a Tripath based car amp, especially now that many companies apparantly dumped their stock onto e-bay. You'll get extremely excellent quality for the price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.