Nissan Maxima

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I appreciate anyone who might have advice for me.

I have a 1990 Nissan Maxima. It has a factory tape deck that doesnt work. When I try the radio the you can barely hear anything because it only plays faintly out of the driver side door speaker. Id like to replace the tape deck and put a cd player anyways but do these symptoms mean that Ill need new speakers too?

Thanks in advance.

The problems are likely a dead headunit. The speakers should be at least OK, I think. If your Nissan radio is anything like the one in the '98 Frontier truck, it should be the same size as a standard DIN car head unit, so you don't need to get one of those dash adapter things. all you'd need is the new aftermarket radio and a wiring harness adapter for a nissan (or not, if you don't mind cutting the factory radio plug)

So I go to Circuit City and theyre telling me that because the Nissan Maxima's come with Bose systems (speakers and head unit) then that means Ill have to have the entire system replaced anyways. So now Im in search of a second opinion from someone with knowledge on Bose systems. Are they not compatible with anything?

You need to have the system checked by someone who REALLY knows your system. Most of the Bose systems have amplifiers for each speaker. Many are mounted into the speaker enclosure.

Many of the amps were plagued with leaky electrolytic capacitors that destroyed various components on the amp circuit board. You need to determine if you have this problem in your vehicle. If so, it will cost $75 or more to repair each amp.

If you decide to replace all of the bose stuff, you may have trouble finding speakers to fit the enclosures (assuming that they have enclosures for each speaker). Having to make the replacement speakers fit the enclosures may be considered custom installation and may add to the cost of replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.