question on amp internals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To set the tone for the rest of this message I know absolutely nothing about amp internals or electronics for that matter. So onto the newb question, which may not be a problem at all:

I just picked up an old Planet Audio Vector D, gave it a short low volume test and it worked. I'm concerned though. I opened up the amp to check it out and one of the torroid looking things (kinda like this: http://www.classaxe.com/dx/images/k9ay_torroid.jpg ) is touching the metal piece inside the amp where the fuses connect. There are a few loops of wire on the torroid that aren't tight and it stretches out to touch the the middle fuse mount on the amp chassis.

Should this torroid be toucing that fuse mount, is it possible thats how it is designed? As I said the amp still works but I didn't push it hard yet.

sorry for the bad cellphone pics

closeup of parts in question:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

entire board with the parts in question outlined in red:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks

-bud

Well, turnoff pop would not be caused by this.

pop-noises can be caused by the amplifier design itself , a broken part inside the amplifer (e.g. broken transistor) or by your headunit. That means your car stereo produces a spike when it is turned off. Because most amplifiers dont shut off immideately , this spike would still be amplified.

You could check the following: disconnect the RCA cables from your amplifier. Turn the amp on, and off again. If you still hear the pop noise , the amplifier itself causes it. If there is no pop-moise anymore it´s your car stereo.

duece212 said:
only problem with the amp is that it has a turnoff pop, otherwise everything else is ok.

Had a Planet Audio Titan TT850D. Same turn off pop noise (no turn on noise at all).
Verified every possible cause (I even switched amps) and ran all test the tech support sugestes with no luck.. had to live with it.
What's ther amp model?? I want to use the picture in the amp guts page, is that ok?

BTW Planet Audio tech support is AMAZING.. and I mean it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.