Best Budget Car Audio Speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for suggestions for budget car speakers for great overall sound.
Don't want to spend more than $50-$60 a pair and am interested in 6"x9" and 6.5" sizes. 3-ways, 2-ways, component anything is fine as long as it sounds great and meets the budget!
Thanks!

yes I have seen those on PE before. I was looking for a little more direction as to which ones to consider or to stay away from.

Unless you are saying it doesn't matter much as long as I am using the factory radio ? In that case if I upgrade the radio to possibly a good alpine or pioneer unit (45-50W typically?) would that help make a better selection of the speakers ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, the speakers are without question the most important part of any audio set-up, but that doesn't mean you invest heavily if the rest of the system isn't up to snuff. A poor sounding radio can sound worse if the speakers being used are good and accurate. If you are planning to update soon, then save up and buy yourself a good set, if you plan to keep the radio then just get something medium.

my take on it is that the radio/cd sounds pretty good - I believe honda/acura oem are alpine units. Its just underpowered and speakers dont do justice to it.

In my '99 honda accord, I went all the way(well almost). Replaced the headunit with a newer alpine, added an alpine trunk changer,
Infinity reference speakers. No amps yet. In retrospect I think if the radio had a CD in it, I would upgraded only the speakers. Its a pretty good radio and not underpowered like the acura (surprising). OR I should have added amps also.(that reminds me I have to ask another question about amps).

Maybe I could think about amps+speakers this time for the acura(?)

percy said:
my take on it is that the radio/cd sounds pretty good - I believe honda/acura oem are alpine units. Its just underpowered and speakers dont do justice to it.

I believe it was the older trunk changers made by Alpine, the head units are Matsuhita (Panasonic's parent co., I think, still nice enough). I put one of the '95 Prelude "Honda Acoustic Feedback System" premium units in my old Integra and was extremely impressed with the sound (clarity, detail, good stage). If you like the HU you can probably get a lot out of it with new speakers. Check out Boston Acoustics for a few bucks more, they make Honda-fit stuff :)

a amp for the door speaker makes a world of difference. basically all decks are way over rated. most of the time the power rating is rated by seeing how much it can power per channel with one speaker attatched at a time. just look at a external 4 channel amp that is 45x4 its like 4 times the size of the deck. I bought a 800 dollar top of the line deck, and when I connected my new components to it I was unimpressed so I bought a rockford p4004 which is like 75x4 and its simpy amazing I can turn the radio all the way up until i cannot stand it anymore and they still dont distort. which started to happen turned up half way with the expenisve deck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.