TDA7293 Max PO without high-n circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Just a quick question to anyone who has used TDA7293s before. I'm hoping to squeeze 75Wrms out of mine, is it possible without exceeding the dissipation ratings of the Multiwatt 15 package?

In the datasheet it implies that without the high-efficiency circuit power is more or less max at 50Wrms per device but I was hoping someone here might have some personal experience to share..

If this is the case, I will trim down the rail voltages so that they limit output power to 50 or 60w per device.

Thanks a ton

Gareth

I have not any experience with the new TDA7293, but I've used the older TDA7294 with +-40V regulated rails and gentle forced cooling (without high efficiency circuit) to produce in excess of 150W on a 4 ohm load (not continuously). Note that some speaker loads may trigger overcurrent protection, so reducing rails to +-35V is recommended. Anyway, 100W at 4 ohms are quite easy to achieve with that IC.

Note that the heatsink I was using measured almost 10cm height by 8cm width by 4cm depth and had a 8cm fan just in front of it, and that the IC was directly bolted to the heatsink with only a thin layer of thermal compound inbetween, since insulators would increase thermal resistance too much.

Hi Eva

I will be using the TDA7293s on a large heatsink extrusion, passively cooled. I will have to use isolation, but I will use Mica if possible, that rubber doesnt work too well.

I was under the impression that 80W was really pushing it from these ICs, but you say 100W is easily attainable?

I'm talking continuous RMS power, I will be happy if I can squeeze 75W out of each as my topology is dual channel, 2-chips per channel in parallel modular arrangement. That would give me 150W into 2 ohm or bridged into 300W into 4 ohm - plenty plenty plenty.

Thanks
Gareth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.