more 5-ch amp questions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2005, 11:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default more 5-ch amp questions...

ok here it is... ive been doing extensive research for a very powerfull and clean 5-ch amp for my new truck... this is what i have come up with...

this subs i have are these x2: http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...er=REF&Cat=SUB

so i want a sub channel that can push them well...

so far ive looked at the kicker zx700.5, the memphis belle-1300 and others.

now the memphis would do the job well in deed, but it also has a price tag that would make you homeless too... now the kicker is more in my price range, but is the kicker worth every penny like the memphis? are kicker amps still top notch like they were back in the late '90s? will it do the job right? or are there other amps that are better? i will be doing listening tests and checking amps out physically not just online. i look at specs and then go check stuff out.

as it is i just want to get my moneys worth and get a good deal at the same time. my budget will be around 4-5 grand so i am prepared to spend for all the stuff to do the install. im building my own cap bank(around 2-5 farad). using 2Ga. welders wire for power from a secondary power system with its own charging, all custom signal cables, 14Ga. monster to the front and rear, 8Ga to the subs, fiberglass kick panels with a custom component set (duel mid, tweet), really beefy rears for fill, an alpine deck, and a trick box and amp rack setup (not sure what yet). so i do have plans, but ehh i need a amp for all this.

now i know that i could just go with a 4-ch and a monoblock, but that cuts in to more wiring and the distribution blocks and all kinds of stuff. im trying to keep the wiring to a minimum and a single amp setup looks more clean imo, that and i will only have room for one amp when im done anyway...

if anyone has any suggestions, please do tell. i need all the help i can get to decide on an amp, its been way to long since ive really went looking for gear to do a big install and i really dont know whats good and wants not anymore, i havent read the usual publications since 2000. so ya im a little out of it... i know what i know and thats about it, not much current stuff.
so any help would be very much appreciated, becouse right now, i need all that i can get. thanks...

oh and ive looked at some other 5-ch's while i was at work and they looked pretty good, but for the life of me i cant remember anything about them, ill ad them to the thread later.
Old 11th September 2005, 10:00 PM   #2
oPossum is offline oPossum  United States
diyAudio Member

Alphasonik PMZ12005A (bottom of page)

75 x 4 +
200 x 1 (4 ohms) or 320 x 1 (2 ohms)

Optional remote bass control and voltmeter.

~ $250

Fully complementary discrete amp design - including complementary LTPs.
Regulated PWM power supply.

I bench tested it before installation and it met rated 4 ohm power. It was installed in my brother's Limo and has worked very well.
Old 11th September 2005, 10:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
JL 500/5
100Wx2(fronts)
25x2 (rear fill)
250W x1 sub channel

jl 500/5

Audison is supposed to have very good amps. But I have no first hand experience.
Audison SRx
Audison LRx
VRx 6.420.2
Old 13th September 2005, 02:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

the aiphasonik pma5753a and the audison 6.420.2 look close to what im looking for... i will be running two subs.

what i need is an amp with a sub channel that puts out somewere around 450 - 650 watts rms @ 2ohms, maybe even at 1ohm. thats why i was looking at the memphis and the kicker. i would do the jl, but i was told that the sub channel puts out 250W regardless on impedance. in order to get the power im looking for i would have to get a second amp and slave or bridge it? this i dont want to do...

i just have not been in the loop like i should have and dont know what is good in amps any more. thats why im asking, well anyway, if anyone has anymore thoughts? please do tell. thanx...
Old 13th September 2005, 02:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
yes the jl should put out the same power regardless of load between 4ohms and 1.5ohms. its how there built. They dont have any bigger 5ch and u said only 1 amp
Old 13th September 2005, 02:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

dont get me wrong about the jl... it is a sweet amp and that is the one im going to hopefuly get for my wifes car.

i realy like tha fact that the rear ch's put out 25watts, that would be great for rear fill and 100w for the front stage is more that pleanty of power for a beefy comp set maybe 3-way. that sub channel killed it for my plans.

i my wifes car i was just going to use one 10" and go for complete SQ. my ride im going for SQ and a dump truck load for bass (can u here me 6 miles away), so remote sub leve controlles are a big plus in my book...
Old 14th September 2007, 03:45 PM   #7
spdkls is offline spdkls  United States
diyAudio Member

hifonics zues 8006i 5 ch

55 x 4 rms
200 x 1 rms

i have one installed on my car and its very clean sound, with good bass. for the money its great. they are all over ebay brand new for less than $220. also its small for a 5 ch. dimensions are 17x9.5x2.5. perfect for small cars and tight spaces.

http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/amps_zeus.html

Hide this!Advertise here!