Hifonics Service manual / schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks for your reply mike...there is a board standing up in the amplifier section of this one that is giving a low reading on the pos 12 volt regulator when in the circuit....is this replaceable ? and if so where can i get one ?.im not home at the moment i'll give you more details when i get back.

Hello Stephen,

I have a low mileage Zeus VIII, I had it running a pair of "15 at 4 ohms ea each channel. It worked ok. I have since givin away the "15's and got a smaller pair of "12's, however they are in a mono config and running at 2 Ohms. I am not a AMP guru of any sort and will never claim to be. I just want to know the best and safest way to hook them up?

To all DIY'ers,

The Hifonics GEN X were the last amplifiers I designed for them and manufactured as well. Beyond that they purchased their amplifiers from Korea and China. I leave it to your imagination as to the quality of those amplifiers.

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of conversing with Nelson Pass, whom I have admired for many years. He is in my opinion a very smart man. The other American designer I have followed since the 70's is James Bongiorno of Dynaco, SAE, GAS and Sumo fame. Both these gentlemen I consider to be in the upper echilon of amplifier design. And please do not forget my long time friend, Tim de Paravicini of EAR fame. We spent much time together when I lived in South Africa. He is THE MAN when it comes to transformer and tape head design.

Sorry about the inability to help those with the Korean/Chinese Hifonics junk.

The HIP chips are very unreliable and were never designed for audio class D purposes but rather motor control. The HIP4080 and 4081 are the two chips to which I refer. They are always failing and shoot through with these chips is almost guaranteed.

Depending on the actual circuit used with these HIP chips, there are a few things you can do to make them more relaible. DO NOT operate them near their rated voltage - this is death for the chip.

They need back diodes on their outputs and again depending on the actual circuit design, dead time needs to be inserted. Not always possible.

Steve Mantz

Hi Steve, I was wondering which amps of Hifonics you were referring to as far as "HIP" amps? I have repaired alot of Hifonics amps and I have yet to see one with the 4080 in it???

Also wondering if you were invloved with API or did they manufacture after you? The Zues XI I just repaired says API on it thats why I was asking.

I am repairing a US Acoustics USA2200 series ll thats says it was made by ZED audio on the board. Just wanting somw history on the amp.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.