Hifonics Service manual / schematic - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2005, 01:53 AM   #11
MOER is offline MOER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Zed and Hifonics

Dear Stephan

Yes I did design and manufacture the Hifonics Gen X

Sorry protos of the Levathan are not complete

SGSD100/200 may be raplced quite happily with a TIP35/36C and a TIP102C/105C in a made up darlington. The smaller TIPs do not need any heatsinking. We used this configuration before we cxhanged to the SGSD100/200 types

Regards

Stephen
Old 10th October 2005, 01:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default New Zed amplifier

Dear Camusmuse,

A full tube amplifier limits me in power and the output trannies are expensive. I have considered an OTL circuit but they are just too big and too many tubes needed.

The power supply is NO problem at all. I have 30 years of SMPS experience and we build very reliable supplies.

Guys want lots of power, even with these "tube" amps so hybrid is the only way to go

Regards

Stephen
Old 10th October 2005, 04:46 PM   #13
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would agree that your smps curcuits are very stable and ,more important, they are strong ! I remember my GenX zeus burning 80A fuses (slow fuse) when driven hard , but the amplifier never failed, replaced the fuse and the baby was back to life.

So far , from what I ve seen ( I fixed a lot of korean standard amps , most of the times made by KIA) , almost all amplifiers with a burned fuse had a faulty smps (most of the times burned FET´s).

From the Hifonics amps , I had to repair in the past there had been only one with a faulty SMPS (and I´m not sure what the guy did ).

I assume that if there were only tubes, a lot of power would have been "wasted" for heating all the tubes.

What I´ve always been wondering is why amps aren´t build in some kind of "stack" , meaning if you want / need more power you add more units (like linking two "son of colossus" to double the power).

Wouldn´t it be possible to use one amplifier for the pos. halfwave and the other for neg. halfwave ?

Regards

Stephan
Old 10th October 2005, 05:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default amplifiers

Dear Stephan,

Stacking amplifiers is called "bridging". In bridge each half of the waveform is handled by a channel of the bridged pair

Stephen
Old 10th October 2005, 05:11 PM   #15
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Stephen,

well I know that. Excuse my bad English. What I mean is different units that work together.

I remember that you set up the GenX son of colossus that it was possilble to use 2 amplifier units with one speaker.
Old 10th October 2005, 09:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ahh but Mr. Mantz has done that as well, with the amps he made for ESX(I have a few of them too). You can hook identical amps together and use them as one amplifier.

I was actually hoping that he would make the tube amps that could be configured like that as well to up the power some for the waveguides I want to use in my next system. Until then I'll probably use a 7300 BTS for EACH waveguide/8"Vifa midbass then use my 7600 BTS for the subs.... ah now if i only had a car to put allthis stuff in....lol.
Old 11th October 2005, 05:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Paralleling amplifier channels

Yes we did this in Hifonics Gen X using the "POS" card and we did the same thing in the ESX amplifiers using relays.

We simply took the output transistors from one channel and electrically "moved" them to the master channel thus doublijg the output capability. This is not as easy as it sounds as the unsued channel must still be kept stable since it now has no output stage.

The electrical movement also CANNOT be done whilst there is power applied to the amplifier.

Regards

Stephen Mantz
Zed Audio
Old 6th May 2006, 03:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default questions about the different colossus generations lines

I have a few questions concerning hifonics…

What was the last series (of the colossus line) that was made by the original founders (Stephen Mantz & or
Zed Audio) of hifinics before maxxsonics bought it…

Wich one’s are better… the old school colossuses (VIII on down) or the Generation XI colossuses or the Gen XX colossuses?

I have a Gen XI Class AB colossuses & was just wandering which one was better… I’m kind of scarred of the maxxsonics versions of hifonics because I bought a Zeus ZX6400 & was dissapionted… and replaced it with a PG Xeon X200.4

I thought the Gen XI colossus was made by original fouders, but it may be a maxxsonics product… But it doesn’t say maxxsonics any ware on the amp or on the internal board… My “hifonics” lettering are chrome & don’t light up (like the maxxsonics one’s)

Pics…

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/...s_Colossus_XI/
Old 9th May 2006, 04:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Zed Audio

The Maxxsonics amps are from China/Korea so I leave it to your imagination what their quality is like.

The last Hifonics which Zed produced was Gen X, this was produced for them when Matt Coleman "bought" the compnay from the original owner, and then some years later when that went belly up this crowd at Maxsonics snatched it up.

Our new amps which we make under our own name and sell direct are far superior to anything I have designed and built in the past as we had few financial constraints in the design

www.zedaudio.com

Stephen Mantz
Old 9th May 2006, 09:26 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info & the link… I seen that link about 6 months ago… I pass it up because I didn’t see anything big enough for me… I was looking into the 1,200 min r.m.s. – 3,000 max r.m.s. watt range (in the THD 0.08 – 0.03 range)… or as big of an amp for $1,499 could buy from u guys. I just like the colossus design because it’s a big 2 channel amp… that the stereo channels could load down to 1 ohm… and 2 ohm mono… (with a regulated power supply)

Hide this!Advertise here!