after 3 yrs. thermal protection kicks in on 2 of 4 ch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i've an orion xtreme 500.4 and for 3 years it's never complained. now, after rockin' out for 5-10 minutes, thermal protection kicks on very briefly on the 2 chs. that power my illusion midbasses. the other 2 chs. powering the tweets run normally.
my grounds are ROCK SOLID and since only 2 channels are affected, this must be an internal issue, not to be confused w/ a cooling issue.
i just want some theories on this before i start the inconvenient process of trying to remove the amp(i mounted it and the other 2 amps using a mix of hex and torx security bolts), which i no longer know where i put those security bits.

thanks a bunch for any thoughts...............

slicey

Magura said:
The simple answer: Dirt.
Try cleaning the whole thing with a vaccuum cleaner and see if that changed anything.

I've seen this problem a few times, and it adds up with that the amps under the heaviest load gets in trouble first.

Magura :)

aaahhhh...............interesting, i do have dust issues in that there trunk of mine. i even hit w/ an air compressor nozzle but don't know how effective that was. so this time i'll be very serious about dirt erradication. this does seem very logical because it must be said that after 2 of 4 chs. started cutting out, i transfered mid-bass duties over to another amp. then during a long drive , the tweeters the other 2 amp chs. where still powering began cutting out. so i hope this is a dirt issue getting to it as well.
i was beginning to think it was diminished build quality at work cause i just learned that DEI aquired ORION as well as a BUNCH of other companies that i had no idea they where affiliated with.

hey, thanks for the tip!
slicey

nope, dirt isn't the problem, unfortunately

removed and opened her up. i'd say interior about as clean as comming off assembly line.......no kidding.
looked all components over visually and some solder joints don't look factory made. kinda has that, i'm a refurbished amp, sucker!
does anyone think that one of THOSE solder joints is the cause of my pain?

Re: nope, dirt isn't the problem, unfortunately

slicey said:
removed and opened her up. i'd say interior about as clean as comming off assembly line.......no kidding.
looked all components over visually and some solder joints don't look factory made. kinda has that, i'm a refurbished amp, sucker!
does anyone think that one of THOSE solder joints is the cause of my pain?

Most likely...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.