Please help - Xtant 1001DX with power but no output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased a used untested Xtant 1001DX for a very good price. Before testing it, I visually inspected the board and all of its components, and no components appear to be outwardly damaged (including the transitors behind the heat sink, and the surface mount components on the underside of the board). After testing it on my test bench, I did get it to power on, but get no output to the speakers. Here are the specifics:

When it powers on, the blue led (believe that it's for low voltage) lights momentarily, then goes out. There is a pause for a second or two, then the normal power (red) led lights and stays lit. Even after adjusting the input gain to both extremes, there is still no output (not even faint).

Also, on the front edge of the main board, in front of the speaker connections, there are contacts on each side of the main board for what I am assuming is plugging in modules. Here's a picture:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are there supposed to be wire jumper soldered there? Is that factory done? On the other side of the main board, the same contacts are jumpered in the same manner.

Also, the jumper section P4, which is the Balanced Line Module connection, had two sets of jumpers block attached. Here is a pic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is that normal? From what I remember, removing those didn't make a difference. I was worried that if those jumpers shouldn't be there, that maybe someone removed a module and stuck those jumpers on there, possibly shorting out something in the line input section.

After reading through other posts about this and other Xtant amp repairs, I believe I have explained the most obvious of the symptoms. I have a DMM and any tools that I might need to repair the amp (minus an oscilloscope). Without any outwardly burnt parts and the amp powering up, I'm not sure which section that I should start with to test.

If anyone has experience with repairing this amp, and could point me in the right direction for which section I should start with, it be great appreciated.

According to the owner's manual and install sheet off of Xtant's website, the red LED is the normal power light, the blue LED is the low voltage light, the yellow LED is the low impedance light, and the orange LED is the thermal protect light.

Also, I just saw something that I had previously missed. The jumpers need to be installed one the Balanced Line Module connection, so I just answered one of my own questions.

Supatech said:
The jumper section P4, which is the Balanced Line Module connection, had two sets of jumpers block attached. Here is a pic:

Is that normal? From what I remember, removing those didn't make a difference. I was worried that if those jumpers shouldn't be there, that maybe someone removed a module and stuck those jumpers on there, possibly shorting out something in the line input section.

I just fixed the no output problem. I quoted what I was one of my questions. The jumper section P4 is the Balanced Line Module connection, and has two sets of jumpers block attached. Just above that, there is another jumper section for plugging in an EQ module. It didn't have the two sets of jumpers. According to the installation sheet on Xtant's website for this amplifier, if a module is not installed the jumpers need to be installed in its place.

FYI for anyone else that buys a used Xtant amp. Get the install sheet and the owners manual off of Xtant's website. It shows exactly which jumpers need to be connected for normal operation.

I got a great deal for $160 shipped, and they're selling for around $300 on eBay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.