Kicker Vs. Memphis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 07:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to irokpierce
Default Kicker Vs. Memphis

I deliberated for a very long time on which speakers to purchase. There was a local Memphis dealer downtown in the city I live in, and also a Kicker dealer. The Kicker CVR 12"s that I was looking into were 199$ each. The Memphis Mclass subwoofers were listed at the other store for 199$ each as well. I finally decided that I wanted to buy the Kickers, because from what I heard Kicker had cleaner, harder hitting bass vs. other mid brands. So I got on the internet and did some researching, and mostly everyone likes the kickers that they have becuase they last and good. Found some on a site for $129.99 for 2 12" CVRs with 800 watt max and 400 watt rms. The amp I currently have is a Class D Mclass memphis amp.

Questions that I am asking are..

1: Is this amp big enough to push the speakers fluently. If not, what size should I get. Also, the CVR's are DVC. How should I wire these with my given amp, series or paralell?

2: Did I make a mistake here in my choice of subwoofers. I figured I was getting a pretty good deal here. My friend has a couple of Memphis PR 12"s, and they get loud as hell. And he's pushing with a multi-channel 400 watt PR Memphis amp.

I hope I'm did the right thing.

Also, I got a bigger box considering I have a f-150 supercab.

2 ft^3 per speaker. Is that good or should I go bigger?
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:12 PM   #2
mrray13 is offline mrray13  United States
diyAudio Member

cvr's are decent subs, but u would have been better off with the pr's..at the shop i part time at, we sell both and have done multipule switches from cvr's to pr's...same boxes, same amps and teh pr's are louder everytime. sound better IMO as well.

once u get into the L5's and up, then u get into kickers good stuff. i run a solox 18 daily in my truck. but i'd never own a cvr. i've owned several pr's as well...never stay long as ppl hear them and then buy them...lol...

what amp do u have? cvr's are d4, so unless u have the 1100d, u have the wrong impedence. with d4 u can only wire 1 or 4 ohm. all memphis d class amps, unless u have a pr series, are 2 ohm stable, except the 1100d, which is 1 ohm. if u have either pr series, u can go 1 ohm.....

to go one ohm, wire all positives together and all negatives together..then run to the amp. (doesn't matter if u run to one channel or two...it'll be the same impedence as all mono amps are internally "bridged")

to go 4 ohm, u'll take one positive and one negative on each individual sub and wire them together..u'll take the remaining positive and negative and parallel it with the other sub...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hide this!Advertise here!