1 channel not clear - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2005, 03:07 AM   #1
hipyo is offline hipyo  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to hipyo Send a message via MSN to hipyo Send a message via Yahoo to hipyo
Question 1 channel not clear

I have a RockBox M201A and the right channel when the amp is on theres like static noise noice coming out of the right speaker... the amp works fine and my 600 watt amp is fine only the RockBox's right channel is like fuzzy sounding... Please Help
Old 12th August 2005, 05:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Fosgate
This could be caused from a whole array of things.

Assuming your input signal to the amp is clean, and your installation is good, my first guess would be a bad output transistor. Most car amplifiers are Class A/B, which in a nutshell means they use two transistors for each output channel (or more in a bigger amp, but always a multiple of two). The transistors take turns with the load. When one is on, the other is off, and they hand off the signal. If one is bad, or partially bad, the other may still be working which will generate a signal out of the amp, but it will be heavily distorted. Sometimes depending on how the transistor is dead, the output will sound like audio mixed with static.

This is just one guess at many possible issues your amp may have.
Old 12th August 2005, 06:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to hipyo Send a message via MSN to hipyo Send a message via Yahoo to hipyo
what would cause it to blow though? I don't recall doing anything that harse to the amp....
Old 12th August 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

does it have static when the amp is just sitting there? or is it only on when something is playing through it?
Old 13th August 2005, 04:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

just when its siting no nothing being played. Its not in the power supply cuz I have my 600 watt amp on it too...
Old 15th August 2005, 06:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This isn't a big thing that I need fixed but would be great if I could get rid of the static noise it gets annoying after awhile then you end up getting mad because u start hear the static only PLEASE HELP
Old 16th August 2005, 02:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Fosgate
This is the amplifier in question, in case anyone has any ideas what to do about it. My suggestion is to get a better amp which is a discrete design, but budget constraints may not allow for that.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th August 2005, 07:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am here for help not suggestions on wut I should I am fine with wut I have just help fix the amp and stop telling me wut to buy when I don't want to buy a new amp Thank You! Now if anyone knows how to help me fix my please post now. Dr. Photon where are you??
Old 17th August 2005, 11:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

That amp doesn't use a step up power supply, so it can't have more power than a regular head unit. definitly *NOT* 600 (PMPO) "watts".

I'm nt sure if the problem wold lie in the preamp (the big bunch of resistors and capacitors in the middle of the amp, the few discrete transistors there are, and the pots, opr in the big chip screwed to a heatsink (the power amp). You could test by breaking the connection between the pre amp power amps and swapping the left and right channels, and see if the noise is in the other channel after you did that (cut circuit board traces, and solder some jumperwires). But I would not consider this amplifier to be worth the trouble to repair. bummer.
Old 22nd August 2005, 09:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

BTW this is my OTHER amp the 120 watt whole new amp here nothing to do with my 600 watt anyways it doesnt bother me much just wanted to see if I could fix it I'll just live with it till I upgrade to lots o watts THANKS FOR THE HELP THOUGH

Hide this!Advertise here!