Finished Car Amplifier schematic + PCB based on Kenwood KAC-716 - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 06:53 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

JLH:
I don't think the W material is going to be suitable for a power transformer. The F and P materials are good choices (P is my choice when I build supplies). Contact the manufacturer or distributor if you decide to use the W material to see if they believe it's suitable for a power transformer.
Old 24th August 2011, 03:59 PM   #152
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

The below quote is from Perry's web site. I've Googled around, but cannot find any references to the 20% winding factor for toroidal cores. What is the rationale for it? Is it a known good balance between copper losses and good magnetic coupling between primary and secondary? At face value it makes me think about the primary copper losses more than anything.

Quote:
OK, now that you basically know how much copper you need (considering the duty cycle, maximum power and current draw), you have to have a core that can hold the primary and secondary windings. Many times, the primary and secondary will have approximately the same amount of copper on the primary as on the secondary. If you have a transformer with a 1:3 ratio, the length of wire for the secondary will be three times as long as the wire on the primary but the current passing through it will be 1/3 as much so the circular mils of the secondary will be 1/3 that of the primary. For this supply, the secondary uses a single 14g wire where the primary uses three parallel 14g conductors. What this means is that the core will have to hold approximately double the copper used for the primary alone. For toroidal cores, the 'winding factor' is generally 0.2 (20% of the window area filled with copper). It can be more or less but this is typically what's used in the various calculations.
Old 24th August 2011, 04:31 PM   #153
vasko is offline vasko  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
if you really need feedback, it would be done pretty much the same as with SG
find one that has TL and has feedback... I think you will only need hand full of components more for that
TL494 has DTC pin 4, Feedback pin 3, 4 inverting/noninverting pins 1,2,15,16, I've attached image from datasheet.

I'm confused which all pins are for U an I control???
Attached Images
File Type: png tl494.PNG (19.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 24th August 2011, 07:06 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

The 0.2 winding factor is for the primary. It's not critical.

Page 4:
http://www.mag-inc.com.cn/file%20lib...wer_design.pdf
Old 25th August 2011, 04:18 AM   #155
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
The 0.2 winding factor is for the primary. It's not critical.

Page 4:
http://www.mag-inc.com.cn/file%20lib...wer_design.pdf
That's a really nice tech paper. What I find most interesting is how little capacitance and inductance is required at these higher switch frequencies. In one of my SMPS examples I calculated 4.9uF and 1.4mH. Due to the waves being square instead of a sine wave, once rectified there's not much left to do because its basically DC at that point. We just need to clean up the ringing and noise. I also see why having a perfect 50% switching duty cycle for the MOSFETs is so critical. These SMPS are very interesting beasts.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:37 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Hay Risto and what about making amp module baced on Kenwood Kac-719?
it have 2 pairs of output transistors. Sorry for my poor english.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:44 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Hay Risto, and what about making a PCB for kenwood kac-719? it ha 2 pairs of output transistors. sorry for my poor english
Old 26th November 2012, 10:00 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

HI.
got you'r nice amplifier with schematics, but it has no mention any where about smps transformer, if its home buil one, plz give the spec of that transformer,
thank you.

Hide this!Advertise here!