Finished Car Amplifier schematic + PCB based on Kenwood KAC-716 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2009, 05:13 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

wouldnt the feedback be a lower voltage if the input was a low voltage? I thought it scaled to the same voltage as the input. Maybe my understanding is wrong. If so how would I do this? thanks luka!

And just a question to see if i understand how those diodes work... is it the equivalent of using two large ultra fast individual diodes?
like two 200V 5A ultrafast diodes with the bias both facing the inside or both facing their respective outside? Hopefully this makes sense
Old 29th July 2009, 05:59 AM   #122
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
That goes for unregulated supplys, lower input, lower output

With feedback, it should be made, that output is constant, for some set input voltage say from 9-16v if we are talking about car supply. And talking on, feedback is looking only secondary, and trys to correct it, so if good feedback is made, voltage will be constant, independent from load, input voltage and other stuff

Sure you could use 2 diods if they are dual inside, here, and this depends on what you want, you see this supply has fullwave rectification, thats why 4 diods are used and coz you can use any that is voltage/current rated for design used in. You have some diods that common anodes, and some common cathodes. But there are not that many of them, so usage of 4 diods is cool and better cooling
Old 31st July 2009, 09:55 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

alright so it's more or less how i understood :P

it seems we've miscommunicated though, i just was wondering if +/- 16 volts would be enough to test just the amplifier board. I'm testing it separately from the SMPS to make sure its fine. And i understand what you're saying about feedback now, but risto said the SMPS is unregulated? I do not understand the purpose of the TL494 ic in the circuit then...
Old 1st August 2009, 06:55 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

well depends on design, but yes, +/-16v should be enough, if there are none voltage protections

No,risto's suppy IS regulated, it has feedback. opto+2x zener

494 is like a heart of this supply, it makes pulses to drive fets on and off in supply
Old 7th September 2009, 08:35 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Hi there!
I follow this proyect from the begining, including Sergio´s proyect in ESP site and Valve Audio's site, because i want to build a car power amplifier to move a Polk´s sub MW8500 and other drivers. I want hi fidelity, not much power.
In the entire proyect i can´t find the answer to my "gnd´s question". If the SMPS primary ground if different to the secundary ground (who is used by power amplifiers), how can i connect the main unit RCA pre out to the power amplifiers input?? conecting both GND´s in this way, can blow up the main or the SMPS? If it´s wrong, wich is the correct way to connect the MU to the PA?
Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:49 PM   #126
niccm is offline niccm  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto80 View Post
Finished Car Amplifier schematic + PCB based on Kenwood KAC-716

This Project is “Car amplifier” and its basic parts- SMPS, Amplifier, Preamplifier and Protection circuit witch are based on originally schematic from service manual of Kenwood Car amplifier KAC-716.
I have work on this project about five mounts and it WORKS.
From originally schematic of KAC-716, I have made PCB’s separately for SMPS, Amplifier, Preamplifier and Protection sow it can be build very easy.
All electronics capacitor from Amplifier, Preamplifier and Protection are 50 volts range. Input capacitors 2x 3300uf/16volts and output capacitors 2x2200uf/50volts and additionally 2x1500uf/50volts should have 105 C temperature ranges.
All documents are in PDF format and JPEG. The PCB’s are in original sizes.
The SMPS is not regulated so the output voltage will depend on turns ratio in ferrite core. I used 2 x 4 turn’s primary wire and for second it depends of why high will be the output voltage.
By choosing a proper resistance for resistor R222/1W connected with pin 6 of UPC1237 we must set up maximum current of 80mA. The valley of R222 depends of internal resistance of relay and supply. For better calculation download the datasheet for UPC1237 form Internet-Read the note for using UPC1237 and you can understand what kind of other protections are given from this IC’s and used in this design.

The amplifier has specifications:

Max Power Output (4ohm)………………………….. 240Wx1 (at 100Hz)
Rated Power Output (4ohm)………………………....120Wx1 (0.08% THD at 100Hz)
Rated Power Output (4ohm)………………………... 160Wx1 (0.8% THD at 100Hz)
Signal to Noise Ratio……………………………….. 100dB
Sensitivity (MAX)………………………………….. 0.15V
Sensitivity (MIN)…………………………………... 4.0V
Input Impedance…………………………………….10Kohm
Low-Pass Filter (12dB/oct.) ………………………. 30-200Hz (Variable)
Operating Voltage…………………………………..14,4V (11~16V allowable)
Current Consumption (1 kHz, 10% THD, 4ohm)…..15A

Know I will put schematic and PCB for this project and these days also I will put pictures of this project.

nice job,
may i know how do i connect the relay from the protection pcb?
because i saw a lot of hole n it marked relay,
may i know how can connect it?
also how can i make the transformer isn't i can use the core from computer power supply without any modify?
Old 1st February 2010, 06:47 AM   #127
bicikle is offline bicikle  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

I cant understand .....
If the current consumption is 15A and voltafe is 14.4v max power is about 230W. So how we get 240W?
Old 6th April 2010, 05:45 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Just so i'm understanding how the smps works right, is it possible to take the secondary of the toroid on the board and connect it to a bridge rectifier and capacitors and resistors like a normal transformer? IE the rest of the circuit just converts the DC voltage to an AC voltage and after the transformer it's just like working like normal AC from the wall albeit at a lower voltage?
Old 6th April 2010, 06:11 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoneasy View Post
Just so i'm understanding how the smps works right, is it possible to take the secondary of the toroid on the board and connect it to a bridge rectifier and capacitors and resistors like a normal transformer?
NO, bridge rectifier is several 100 times too slow for this, also you don't need that much capacitance, not even close

this smps takes DC for its input, then it is switched from one to other side (two primarys), trafo is seeing high freq. AC, which is transformed up or down, rectified to get it back to DC... you can't use 50-60Hz elements here, nor do you need them (capacitors being so big),

Last edited by luka; 6th April 2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:11 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

i was worried about that, thanks for replying before i blew up something using a bridge rectifier :P

Hide this!Advertise here!