S-10 Enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default S-10 Enclosure

Well, I have a bigger problem, I went through and crunched the numbers yesterday, the total volume I need at the least is 1.2 cubic ft. As of now I wanted to use 3/4" MDF for the long straights and fiberglass for the some sweet looking effects in the front. However the MDF sucks up too much of the volume. With the outside dimensions I can make about 1.7 to 1.5 cu ft. However the MDF takes up .7 cu ft. Leaving me with less then the recommended amount. I thought of way to get around it, stuffing the box with cotton etc. But, I was wondering if I couldn't just completely fiberglass the box and what kinds of Pros and Cons there would be. I build a frame out of 1"x1" wood, with several braces. Also I was going to make the out edge of the subs flush with the box, so I was going to have two plates of mdf for the subs.

The box will contain two 12" Premier Shallow Mounted Subs.

300 w. nominal
1200 w. Max

Comments, concerns?
Old 10th May 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Do the glasswork well and you will be fine. Use a ring of MDF to screw the woofers into.

It's also likely you might not even notice the 0.2 cu. ft. difference by listening, unless you like super-deep bass.
Old 11th May 2005, 02:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, the whole thing is going to be low tones, it may even turn into a comp. setup so I defeinitely will be doing everything I can to limit the flex of the box.
Old 19th May 2005, 02:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see I've built the frame and already put the fleece over the frame. As of now the box is sitting in my garage with one coat of resin over the fleece. I added one more support across the top of the particle board to make sure I didn't have any problems with that small amount of material there. comments?

Hide this!Advertise here!