Pre-amp outputs from factory deck - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Pete H is offline Pete H  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Pre-amp outputs from factory deck

I have an '03 Accord Coupe with a factory stereo. I've not tried to remove the stereo to see what connections are available but I imagine I wont find any pre-amp outputs. I've had people tell me that it's possible to use the Aux CD connection to create some pre-amp outputs. Is there some kind of adapter available that I can plug into this connection to give me the pre-amp outputs that I want? If so, where can I get this item?
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

as far as i know the connections are all speaker level, if so you will have to get a speaker level to line level converter(which will degrade sound quality tremendously) or get a new deck to fit in were the stock deck is for pre-outs.

Quote:
I've had people tell me that it's possible to use the Aux CD connection to create some pre-amp outputs. Is there some kind of adapter available that I can plug into this connection to give me the pre-amp outputs that I want? If so, where can I get this item?
if the aux connection is on the deck? then no, it is INPUT only, and there would be no adapter for this either.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:30 AM   #3
bawang is offline bawang  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I am a cheapskate and will make my own speaker level to line level converter using a couple of resistors. Just use 2 resistors in series (rated around 3 to 5W), make sure their total resistance is around 4 ohms. Example: A 1 ohm resistor and a 2.7ohm resistor. Tap off the voltage of the lower valued resistor, and wallah! You have your own step-down converter! Fiddle with the resistance value to match your amp's input sensitivity.
Old 5th May 2005, 05:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to scottjasonm Send a message via MSN to scottjasonm Send a message via Yahoo to scottjasonm
If you have the skills, it is possible to "bring out" the low-level signal inputs to the factory radio's internal amp. Of course this requires you
to do open-heart surgery on your factory radio...
Old 5th May 2005, 08:06 PM   #5
maylar is offline maylar  United States
diyAudio Member

There are some very decent Line Level Converters that won't "degrade" the signal much at all. David Navone among others make them.
Old 14th May 2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Pete H is offline Pete H  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are some very decent Line Level Converters that won't "degrade" the signal much at all. David Navone among others make them.
maylar,
Since you seem to have experience using the LOC from David Navone Engineering I have a question for you. I have been to their website and I'm ready to purchase one. I hesitate to do so becuase I first tried to connect speaker level inputs to my ads P440 amp and it shut down imediately once the wires were connected. In another thread on this forum someone mentioned this could be caused by a 'car chasis ground potetial' in the speaker outputs. My question is this. If the chasis ground prevents the amp from running when connected to the speaker output, would this same chasis ground be passed through the LOC and also prevent the amp from running?
Old 16th May 2005, 12:43 PM   #7
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default High-low-level converter

The "davidnavone" uses transformers to convert the high signal to a
low level signal. Thus there is no direct connection between your
factory stereo and the amplifier. the picture shows how this thing is
build.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!