how to make a sealed box for some focal utopias 5ws - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
BILLYZ is offline BILLYZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how to make a sealed box for some focal utopias 5ws

just wondering how to make a special cabinet for the door panels, out of wood or fiberglass, and specificlly measuring for the air volume needed for the specific speaker, if it needs ported or not, etc....
Old 12th April 2005, 10:50 PM   #2
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

You are asking to do a huge amount of work. You would be better off dynamatting the whole door and sealing every hole.
Old 13th April 2005, 06:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I WANT TO DO ALOT OF WORK, IM VERY GOOD WITH SCULPTURE AND WOODWORKING SO MAKING SOMETHING ISNT A BIG DEAL. I WANT "PERFECTION", NOT THE EASY WAY OUT. THIS IS FOR MY MERCEDES. IM REALLY WONDERING HOW TO MEASURE TO AIR SPACE ONCE I HAVE THE CABINET BUILT. I HAVE 4 UTOPIA MIDBASS DRIVERS, 2 UP FRONT, 2 IN THE REAR DASH. IVE ALREADY RIPPED OUT THE OLD REAR DASH AND MADE A CUSTOM WOOD ONE ,TRAIL RUN. BUT IM GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER WHICH IS SEALED.
Old 13th April 2005, 06:21 AM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Billy,
Could you please give that capslock key a little hit?

/Hugo
Old 13th April 2005, 07:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well have you considered kick pods? Why are you putting midbasses in your rear deck, I thought you were going for good sound not being just loud.
Old 13th April 2005, 09:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i have midbass in the rear mostly for other passengers, overall my set up includes: 4 5" w cones, 2 6ws" focal audioms-whichare not installed yet. 2 4" w cones in the rear doors, 4 tn 51 tweets, and 1 focal 13" ploy k sub, running off of arc audio amps, with a nakamichicd400, but going to upgrade to a rockford plat 2000.

im looking into kick pods i can make my self, i want the audiom 6"woofers in them, and i also want to build a door cabinet for the midbasses, i still need to know how to measure for the air volume. thanks guys
Old 13th April 2005, 10:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok well there are a lot of options you have and to be honest you need to go out and do some research. You seem to have a lot of gear but some of it seems mismatched.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/0211cae_lincoln/

is a car that uses a lot of the same drivers you are using. Take a look at it.

Before I start let me make sure of the gear you have. Going from high to low. You have 4 tweets,2 4"midbasses, 2 6"midbasses, 4 5" subs, 1 13" sub. Is this right?

You have arc amps for power. How many? How many chanels each amp? how much power per chan.?

You have a nak HU but are considering a rockfor HU.

Is this right so far?

Do you plan on using active or passive crossovers? Do you have this equipment already?
Old 13th April 2005, 10:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i also am using passive at the moment, i have 4 utopia 136w crossovers that are bi-ampable, i have an 8-band ecplise eq as well, i heard that active crossovers have a much warmer sound, but im unsure how to really do it with one amp. do i need 1 for the tweets and 1 for the midbass? im not too experienced. but for active do you just set the crossover point on the amp itself and adjust the gains to match the other components?
Old 13th April 2005, 10:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Active crossovers don't have a warm sound. In an active setup you use one amp channel per driver. You then have an external active crossover that is before the amps. There are no parts between the amps and drivers except mabey a small cap on the tweets to protect them if you mess up setting up the crossover. To go active you need to know how to setup and tune a car audio system and is not for the beginer. The benifits of going active are great though if you know what you are doing. One headunit/proccesser setup that is big for SQ is the pioneer P9 and processer. With it you can go 3 way active and have a 31 band EQ that you can tune from the HU. Unless your 8 band eq is parametric it wont do you much good for tuning.
Old 13th April 2005, 10:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I still need you to answer the questions from my previous post before I can gie you a solid game plan.

Hide this!Advertise here!