UC2577T power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know I've asked about simple PSUs for car amps before, but I think I may have finally found one that would work, a UC2577T-ADJ. I have some of them, and according to the datasheet, http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uc2577-adj.pdf, they can operate from 12VDC and output up to 60VDC at 3A.

I know little to nothing about switching PSUs, so I have no clue where to start with building this. Can anybody help me design a schematic for this so I can make a PCB and build it?

I don't know if I can use two of them to make a split suppy, but if I can I want to set the power of each around 28-29VDC, otherwise I want to set it at 56-58VDC.

Can this be done? If so, would somebody please help me figure how how?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike

You can use it for a flyback converter.
Then +/- 28V are possible.

Check for a similar, but little more powerful device
from National.
The data sheet also contains schematics for flyback.
In figure 9 you can see a flyback which delivers pos and neg output voltages.
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2587.html
In flyback topologies, take care for leakage inductance of the transformer and proper snubber for the switch.

Good luck
Markus

Thank you.

Are the two chips interchangeable, so I can use the schematic from National for the TI chip? I have that one and would like to use it.

Also, the transformer used in that circuit, do I have to wind one myself. Can I just use a torrid core and wind until I get the voltage I want? Or will I have to change something on the chip so it knows I am running 28V not 12V in the feedback.

And, will I be able to get the full 3A, or because of the step-up transformer, will I be trading voltage for current.

Finally, can I parallel more than one of the chips to get more current? For example, if I were to get 4 of the National Semiconductor ones, could I parallel their outputs to get 20A going into the transformer?

Thanks so much for the help,
Mike

The chips are not interchangeable without circuit adjustments.
BTW: 3A in the data sheet means the max. current of the switch
in the data sheet. The possible output current to 60V DC rail
will be MUCH less ! Best case in a boost arrangement, when operating
from 12Vdc input will be about an output of 60V / 300mA. More realistic 250mA. Also is 60V output voltage of a boost converter to close to the max. operating of 65V of the switch. If you go for
flyback you can handle this by a suitful transformation ratio, but
this will again reduce the possible output current.
Simple paralleling is also not fortunate... except for blowing it.
Just "pick a torroid and wind".... oh, oh... well somtimes it looks
like this if you watch experts. But it isn't that easy.

For higher power car smps, you should consider a push pull converter anyway.

You have two options:
A:
Search the WEB and the this forum for fundamentals about flybacks (or for push pull) and then rebuild a design that is close to your requirements. When it works, slowly start to modify to the direction you need.
B:
Search a proven SMPS design (including PCB) that exactly
matches to your requirements and hope that it will work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.