Problem w/Clipping new 2 car audio need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Alpine 9835 head unit, Infinity 7520a amplifier, Infinity kappa perfect 6.1 components and kappa perfect 63.1 6 1/2 3-way coax speakers in rear. My Problem is that I like music loud, so loud it hurts sometimes. When I turn the volume up to said level it clips during musical peaks. I have quite a bit of money tied up in amps and speakers and I'm not satisfied. Currently the amp is set-up at 2 ohms power the front speakers on one channel and the rears on the other. Infinity says that in this configuration the amp will put out 126w rms @.oo1 thd. Plenty sutable for the speakers. What I'm trying to figure out is obviously how to solve the clipping problem and get it so I can play the music louder. Do I need to take the rear speakers of the amp and run the fronts on both channels versus one? Will adjusting the crossovers help in this configuartion? The amp shuts down if it senses its going to clip so my speakers or fine I just want to play the music louder. I understand that the tweeters can only take so much power but I been in plenty of cars with much louder mids and Highs. I'm not terrebly worried about bass until this problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

Kris,

By the way if it helps the majority of music I listen to is either hip-hop or Metal. It doesn't really clip with hip-hop

i listen to a lot of metal too... i'd get a nice chuncky 4-channel amp for those Infinity's, they can suck a lot of power out of your amp. something around 60- 75 watts rms should do you justice. but for now running the fronts on the amp alone should be fine. you could also get a bigger 2-ch for the front and use the current amp on the rear. oh and are you using a sub?

Im a noob too but when it comes to using what you got Im pretty resourcefull at making things work. You have the same problem I had for clipping during metal songs. I had to configure with the built in 7 band eq , lpf , hpf and left the amps on flat. If you dont have a broad eq band built in the head unit I would suggest investing into one. I have a low quallity pyramid type setup and it was really tricky to configure but sounds great compared to high end setups that guys cant configure properly.

I start out with the sub level on the head at 70% and the gain on the amps at minimum. I make sure I am using flat on the eq , either all 7 eq's in center or bass/treble in the center. Then I turn the volume of the head to 70% and turn up the gains on the amps notch by notch each. Once they start to clip back off just a hair on each amp gain. Then configure your channels , if the front is blarring and the back is drowned out then configure the fader till the volume is even front to back. If its blarring more one side than the other adjust the balance , an offset balance can create better sorround sound and volume for the driver. Then put on some metal at 70% volume and 70% sub volume (both on head unit) and adjust the eq for power. Once you set it up to your satisfaction you can turn the head volume to the max without clipping and it sounds powerfull.

Thats my opinion on using what you got and what you can do with it. Nice stuff by the way I bet its gonna sound great when you figure out the configurations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.