6x9 enclosure design question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all, i have a pair of pyle plx693 3way 6x9's, and i would like to build an enclosure for them. what im looking for is a single cabinet split chamber design to fit in the back of my toyota ext. cab truck. i was thinking .60cuft sealed or maybe .90 vented. the idea is to get low bass with out having to use subwoofers. this is my work truck so no need for any.
now what i would like to know is...

1. would you ppl recommened bigger enclosures? if so, how big?

2. vented or seald? if vented, how big (DiaxL)?

3. how much fiberfill would be recommended to reduce standing waves?

the idea in my head say's a .90cuft with a 2"(d)x5"(L) vent, half filled with fiberfill would sound great.this enclosure will have different speakes in them at times, i plan to install my 2ch soundstream amp to drive some bigger 6x9s when i get them.

any input would be great thanx

Dude.. 6X9's aren't subs. And Pyle speakers are.. umm.. turds. Full range triaxials are made to be played free air (IB), you won't get any more bass out of em in a box.

Get yourself a pair of real 8" subs. You can get some good deals on eBay. Stick with major brands.

i know 6x9's are not subs, and yes i know pyles are crap now. i got them free, so who cares, im going to replace them soon any way(just dont know with what). i have herd full range coaxials and triaxials in a box before and they didn't sound to bad. in fact these same 6x9's were in cut out bose 301 boxes and they didn't sound to bad at all, they could have been in a better box but what ever...
i want to put the speakers to get loud and sound clean at high spl levels, they dont have to do 165db but it would be nice to get some lows out of them(around the 30-50Htz range) i also want to beable to pull the box out of the ext cab put them on the talegate to here music when im camping, desert partying, ect.
and if i wanted subs i would put my 2 jl 12w0 back in.

As the last poster said, these (and in fact 99.9% of 6x9) speakers are designed for free air use. Using a box will only worsen performance.

OK, they may have sounded alright in a box when you tried, but I bet that was in a house not a car?

If you really insist on using a box you will simply have to make it as large as you possibly can, and sealed.

maylar, im glad you got a responce from infinity, i email pyle twice and got know responce at all. what was the result, how did they sound?
i know 30hz is a long shot, but with the kind of music i mostly listen to when working sounds best at the lower midbass frequencys anyway. my car on the other hand will have a very nice sound system when i get the time to install it.

Alcaid said:
If you don't know the s/t parameters of the 6"x9" woofer, then you'd better build a closed box. ported is very hard to get right when just guessing, and yes, 6x9s in closed boxes sounds much better than free air. (those I've heard anyway).

ya i have to agree with you on this... the bose 301 cabs i had sounded alright in my truck with the pyles, but lacked a lot of low end, after all they were BOSE speakers (yuck). how big do you think would the box have to be, .70, .90 cuft iyho? this is after all just a work truck, i deliver pizza and when i had the subs in the truck, customers would call to complain about the noise i would make getting to there house. even at low volume it would **** them off. 2- 12" jl audios in the cab of a mini truck is a loud experiance after all. but this might change if i get a new truck, then ill just get a five ch amp and a pair of tens, put im not holding my breathe on this one... oh and i also tried a single 10" and that was to loud out side the truck too... go figure...

i had some of the low end pioneer 6X9s a while back, had them in some funky open backed boxes that were filled with poly fill type stuff, sounded ok. i later put them into some plywood pods/bumpouts in the lower portion of some car doors, were better being closer to the ears that way.
They were fine for what they were, running off of a Profile amp @ 30 watts.
Best thing i could have done would have been to make a bass blocker crossover, to knock out the under 50 hz, but i was more into just having a functioning setup for my daily beater at that time, didnt want to spend much time on that one.
Sometimes the best system is the one that works, in your car, that you can afford, and not spend a huge amount of time on...

Thanks phase,I stuffed the heck out of my boxes,and well look for some bass stoppers as well.I turned down the gain as well.big difference,my 6902s sound much better but the lo's over power the hi's.I'm running JVC's 6" in the front off the head unit' the hi's over power the lo's, its all lo buck stuff stiil working on it.

Since this thread has been bumped already, I swear by a 32 litre box tuned to 48 Hz for each of my cheap Nikkai 6 x 9 speakers. With the big 4" diameter pipe I had for a port, it was cut to 26 cm in length. Line the walls of the box with 1/2" of open cell foam.

This will give a good full range powerful sound but won't do low bass. I tested one speaker on some house and techno in the back of my car (seats folded down) and off about 40-50 watts (1 side of an Acoustic Solutions SP101 so 17 volts RMS) and it has as much bass or more as all four speakers on most cars (probably similar to a Ford Focus stereo) I can't wait to hear two.

If you try to get 30 Hz out of them by a big box tuned low, you'll limit your output by running out of excursion. It will work if you don't play your music very loud, although to be honest you'll still have more cone control than just using the rear deck. Using 45-50 Hz tuning gives more SPL and power handling though for the box size.

Attachments

• 2015-09-13 21.05.39.jpg
    2015-09-13 21.05.39.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 1,173
Thanks TimLewis, but part of my problem was space. I wanted to put the enclosures under the rear seat of my truck so that I would not lose to much passenger/tool space. I built some triangulated boxes about .4 cubic ft. and also found my hi-pass filter on my head unit and set it at 80 hz. and added an 8" sub & 150 watt amp on the hump between the front and rear seats.I also added some 6.5s with an inductor (about 7khz) & tweets in the front doors.All this runs on the head unit except the 8"and sounds better than great.

If you're running a subwoofer you won't need my full range boxes which do all but the deeper notes to respectable volume levels on most music except bass rap.

You'll probably have more displacement limit off the 80Hz tuning too.

I eventually want some Bass Face SPL 69.1 or SPL 8.2

Last edited:
Hello,

I own a custom shop. I currently have 4 6x9 Boss audio speakers in a box in a extended cab S-10. They are powered by a legacy blue diamond 600 watt amp. I have never had any issues with either and they do hit very hard for what they are. With the right song it feels like someone is snacking you in the head. The box is sealed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.