need help putting a system together - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2005, 06:32 PM   #1
optomos is offline optomos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need help putting a system together

I have a 99 acura tl. I just bought some equipment to install in my older accord but I decided to sell it for something with alot less mileage. The acura currently has a bose system with 2 speakers in the front and 2 in the rear doors and a air powered sub in the back in the center. I know that if I change the system the bose sub in the back would be rendered unusable.

This is what I currently have:
1. Pioneer deh-p960mp head unit
2. Pioneer gm-6150f amp (60w X 4ch) (120w X 4ch max)

This is what im thinking of getting:
1. Infinity kappa perfect 5.1/6.1 component for the front doors
2. Infinity kappa 62.5i for the rear doors
3. Infinity Basslink for sub?
4. Tsunami app install kit with a 2farrad cap and xtras
5. Tsunami rca cables

I heard that the kappa series had a harsh sound or a tin sound to them but then I read that to resolve this issue you had to turn the tweeters down to -4db, is this true??

Now this setup is not written in stone so any recommend would be apreciated. As far as the sub goes I dont want something thats going to take up alot of space nor do I need something that will rattle my whole car or be heard a block away...I'm looking for something of quality that will be good at filling in the lows.

Im also not sure what size speakers my car will take. The polk, infinty, and retailers all give conflicting sizes.

Also if anyone has a recommendation of where I can buy any of the goods online or localy at a good price (besides ebay) or of and good sites for car audio info.

Thnx in advance
Old 2nd April 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
bmxkris is offline bmxkris  United States
diyAudio Member

I currently have nearly the same setup in my car, perfect 6.1 components, Pefect coaxes in rear. The front sounds great not tinny compared to alpine components. The speakers are damn near a work of art. I also have an infinity 7520 2-channel amp but I think I need a bigger 2 channel or a 4 channel for my setup it clips during loud musical peaks(metal). If you go with the Infinities get a bigger amp if you like it loud.
Old 4th April 2005, 06:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

for the sub, you could go with a alpine mrd-m301 mono block and a jl audio 10w0-4 that would sound better than the basslink imo, or one could take back the pioneer 4ch and get a 5-channel alpine, crossfire, kicker, eclipes(looking in to them myself), or some other manufacturers design and have one amp to power them all (imo)... just stick to manufacturers that have an excellent reputation today not 6yrs ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!