99 Acura CL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Zapcod is offline Zapcod  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 99 Acura CL

I have a 99 Acura CL. I want to put a 3-way speaker system in. I will be useing Image Dynamic's HLCDs with a 6.5 inch in the door and a 5.25 in a glassed kick. Does anyone know where I can get any info on enclosure size for the 5.25 and where to aim them. Also any tips on glassing. This will be my first project with fiberclass. Thanks for your help.
Old 26th March 2005, 04:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ok...after doing alot more study on HLCDs I have decided not to use them. Instead I will be using a normal tweet, no kick panel and mount all the speakers in the door. I will be still using Image Dynamics speakers but the question now is should I use a passive or an active crossover. These may be silly questions but I am new to all this car audio stuff and a little help would be great. thank you.
Old 28th March 2005, 12:25 AM   #3
optomos is offline optomos  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there any special reason you want to use image dynamics speakers?

I would use a passive crossover, the kind that comes with a component speaker set. I have a 99 acura tl. Whats your speaker config in your car? It originally came with the BOSE system right?
Old 30th March 2005, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would like to use Image Dynamics because I have heard them in a few cars and they sound great. I can get their comp set for less than $300 . Do you know of a different brand I might want to listen to? I have the same Bose set up as you. The tweet is by the windshield and the 6.5 is in the door. I was told that for good imaging all the speakers must be close togeather. I have a Diamond Audio sub and monoblock amp for the sub, now I just need speakers up front and an amp to drive them.
Old 31st March 2005, 04:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Focal, JBL, & Infinity have a component system as well, with focal being the best.
Old 31st March 2005, 05:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

FYI, the Bose setup uses a 2ohm system. That means changing everything.
Old 1st April 2005, 07:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have installed a Pioneer Premeir 960 using the Bose speakers so far. And the amp and sub combo as well. I was looking at the Focal 165w comp set but cant bring myself to spent $600 in speakers...yet. I will be using Zapco amps shortly. I am looking at getting their sx-sl processer, but at $800 it wont be for a while.
Old 1st April 2005, 02:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You can get the Focal 165 cv(polyglass) component set for $319. Did you use the Peripheral VENDETTA 4.5 t o bypass the Bose system?
Old 1st April 2005, 04:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I just got the harness that fit and it worked fine. What a difference the Bose speakers make when you hook them up to a better HU. The 960 has 3 x 6.5 volt pre outs, Its a night and day difference. The midbass hit on a snare drum is tight and forcefull. I kind of want to amp the Bose speakers just to see what they would sound like.
I thought that the polyglass from Focal didnt sound as good for the money as other speakers. Atleast that is what I was told I never herd those Focals. Those Image Dynamics sounded really good though. I am going to have to make a choice here soon and stop moaning and groaning about it . I have been talking to the owner of Showoff Motor Sports near where I live and he has given me some ideas on install optins. If you have any more Ideas let me know . Thanks for your help
Old 2nd April 2005, 03:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i like the Diamond Audio comp's my self. if setup right with a good midbass driver in the doors with good sound dampening you would be very surprised at the clearness and crispness of the sound. ...and that is befor the subs imo.

Hide this!Advertise here!