99 Acura CL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 99 Acura CL. I want to put a 3-way speaker system in. I will be useing Image Dynamic's HLCDs with a 6.5 inch in the door and a 5.25 in a glassed kick. Does anyone know where I can get any info on enclosure size for the 5.25 and where to aim them. Also any tips on glassing. This will be my first project with fiberclass. Thanks for your help.

Ok...after doing alot more study on HLCDs I have decided not to use them. Instead I will be using a normal tweet, no kick panel and mount all the speakers in the door. I will be still using Image Dynamics speakers but the question now is should I use a passive or an active crossover. These may be silly questions but I am new to all this car audio stuff and a little help would be great. thank you.

Is there any special reason you want to use image dynamics speakers?

I would use a passive crossover, the kind that comes with a component speaker set. I have a 99 acura tl. Whats your speaker config in your car? It originally came with the BOSE system right?

I would like to use Image Dynamics because I have heard them in a few cars and they sound great. I can get their comp set for less than $300 . Do you know of a different brand I might want to listen to? I have the same Bose set up as you. The tweet is by the windshield and the 6.5 is in the door. I was told that for good imaging all the speakers must be close togeather. I have a Diamond Audio sub and monoblock amp for the sub, now I just need speakers up front and an amp to drive them.

I have installed a Pioneer Premeir 960 using the Bose speakers so far. And the amp and sub combo as well. I was looking at the Focal 165w comp set but cant bring myself to spent $600 in speakers...yet. I will be using Zapco amps shortly. I am looking at getting their sx-sl processer, but at $800 it wont be for a while.

I just got the harness that fit and it worked fine. What a difference the Bose speakers make when you hook them up to a better HU. The 960 has 3 x 6.5 volt pre outs, Its a night and day difference. The midbass hit on a snare drum is tight and forcefull. I kind of want to amp the Bose speakers just to see what they would sound like.
I thought that the polyglass from Focal didnt sound as good for the money as other speakers. Atleast that is what I was told I never herd those Focals. Those Image Dynamics sounded really good though. I am going to have to make a choice here soon and stop moaning and groaning about it . I have been talking to the owner of Showoff Motor Sports near where I live and he has given me some ideas on install optins. If you have any more Ideas let me know :) . Thanks for your help

I have been talking to the guy who owns the shop I goto and he is saying I cant go wrong with Diamon Audio, Image Dynamics, They are about the same price range. Zapco just came out with a comp set but no word on how they sound or what the price is. Dynaudio, DLS or Focal would be my next choices to look at in a higher price range. Its gonna cost me $300 for fiberglassing a 6.5 and a 5.25 in the door. Its comming togeather. Thanks for the help and I will post pics when we start building.

Amping the bose wouldn't help or anything, it would purely be for "what iff..." because of their eq and dsp applied to the speakers.

Anyway, as for passive vs. active, it really depends on your goal on the sound quality of the system. If you want the flattest possible sound, use an active system, you can EQ and adjust pretty freely.

For using a passive system you really have to work hard to get a good response from the system. This is why you must keep the speakers close together (there are other factors with psychoacoustics, but that's a long story). Keeping speakers close together for passive systems will help your design quite a bit and save you time in working with the filter network.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you are happy with your install!

IF YOU WANT TO GET A PAIR OF FOCALS FOR "CHEAP" I PIECED TOGETHER 2 PAIRS OF A 136W UTOPIA SET, YOU CAN BUY SINGLES DRIVERS FROM ZALYTRON.COM, THEN LOOK ON EBAY FOR THE UTOPIA CROSSOVER AND THE TN-51 OR 52 TWEETER, IN THE END I PAID 500 FOR 2 PAIRS FOR THEM, WHICH WOULD NORMALLY COST ME 1200. MAKE SURE THAT YOU BUY THEM NEW NOT USED.

BILLYZ said:
IF YOU WANT TO GET A PAIR OF FOCALS FOR "CHEAP" I PIECED TOGETHER 2 PAIRS OF A 136W UTOPIA SET, YOU CAN BUY SINGLES DRIVERS FROM ZALYTRON.COM, THEN LOOK ON EBAY FOR THE UTOPIA CROSSOVER AND THE TN-51 OR 52 TWEETER, IN THE END I PAID 500 FOR 2 PAIRS FOR THEM, WHICH WOULD NORMALLY COST ME 1200. MAKE SURE THAT YOU BUY THEM NEW NOT USED.

How does it sound? What else did you use in your setup?

well it sounds really great, but im adding on to it to fill in some gaps, im adding some 6 ws audioms from focal in the front maybe on some custom kick pods, my head unit is nakamichi cd-400, with an 8-band eclipse eq and arc audio amps. the drivers i got from zalytron are 6 ohms, all it means the frequency range rides a little higher than the 4 ohm, but not too much

bose

DON'T use the bose....they sound awful with aftermarket gear....in order for the bose to sound decent the oem head units are heavily EQ'd......this may also have a negative affect on any after market gear you install down stream from the source

focal is great stuff ...also try the morel car gear and dynaudio
JL audio's highend components also sound great....also try out boston acoustics Z series or pro series...they've always made a solid high quality product....they sound alot like a good pair of Snell's
listen to alot of different kinds of speaker and pick the ones that "tickle" your eardrums the most !!!!
speaker selection is way to subjective to NOT listen 1st

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.