"high quality" car amp??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Default "high quality" car amp???

I havenoticed in the car audio world, that everyone says to spend MORE on your amplifer than speakers, and with people spending $400 or MORE on a pair of 6inch splits, how can they justify this? to me, and amplifier is an amplifier.

what can be so different between a $200 2X150watt amp, and a $600 2X100watt amp or whatever?? and yet the cheaper amp has always been considered "lower quality" WHY!?!?!? I'm sure the build quality is the same... amplifier PCB layout isn't THAT critical.. AND YOUR IN A CAR FOR FRIKS SAKE!!!!
Old 19th March 2005, 11:36 PM   #2
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

This all depends on how good you want to go. I have never heard a rule that says you should pay more for your amp then your speakers. I have heard of using good quality amps with good quality amps. It is true that at some point amps of a certin level have different qualities that make it more of a personal preference then anything. If you think that all amps sound the same in the car environment then you are very mistaken. If you don't belive me take a cheap amp (like a pyramid) and listen to it and then listen to a quality amp (McIntosh,Tru,Brax,JL,Audison). Even with cheap speakers you will hear a huge difference.

Don't forget to take into account that the amout of power an amp makes has nothing to do with how it sounds. You should also remember that poor car audio companies over rate their equipments power rating.
Old 20th March 2005, 02:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The more expensive amp are normally more powerful and have more current draw.

I agree with you to some point but then it stops as some companies make great amplifiers and some make twaddel!
Old 20th March 2005, 03:33 AM   #4
Banned

alright, heres the deal...

I can't justify spending $600 on a car amp....

whats wrong with this one?

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...Max=&SUBCATID=

everyone says its good bang for buck, but that its not good quality. How does that work? meh, oh well. would I notice this POOR QUALITY amp if I ran Peerless speakers off it?
Old 20th March 2005, 03:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is nothing wrong with this amplifier, its seems to be very very good value for money and very powerful.

Typical incar speaker have very poor sensitivity unlike home speakers that are generally an easy load.

one reason is in a car the typical speakers have no real air load and are virtually I/B in doors and rear shelfs, so the dampers are very heavy cotton to provide all the damping.

How told you to spend more on an amplifier? a sales person maybe, always follow your own gut.
Old 20th March 2005, 05:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I suggest you study car audio more. There is a lot of information and even more information. I think you could do a whole hell of a lot better for $300. Take a look at JL audio e series. Don't forget that there are many factors in car audio. Speaker placement, passive or active componant setups, head unit, amps, subs, enclosure design, EQ and more. Rather then ask about prices you might find better answers if you ask what you should shop for that will help fit your needs.
Old 20th March 2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
I suggest you study car audio more. There is a lot of information and even more information. I think you could do a whole hell of a lot better for $300. Take a look at JL audio e series. Don't forget that there are many factors in car audio. Speaker placement, passive or active componant setups, head unit, amps, subs, enclosure design, EQ and more. Rather then ask about prices you might find better answers if you ask what you should shop for that will help fit your needs.

thats $290 and its Australian dollars.... but the amp can be had for $200.... you won't get ANY name brand amp new for $200 Australian... for $300, you might get an Alpine amp that can give 2X80watts or something
Old 20th March 2005, 06:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry I didn't know we were looking at aussie dollars.
Old 20th March 2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Banned

what can be lower quality? the active filtering... thats all I can think of... so, whats stopping me from by passing it and running external filtering?
Old 20th March 2005, 05:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The power supply can be poorly designed and/or use inferior parts. The amp section can be the same way. The filters could be of poor quality but they usualy arn't that bad.

Do you have car audio stores in your area? If so I would go and demo their amps and then make a decision.

Hide this!Advertise here!