Switched mode power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am about to make a switched mode power supply and have reed about. I have also looked at the ones that have been made by some of you on this forum. Almost everything is clear to my about the design of it. There is just one thing that have problem whit and that is the transformer. I know how it works, but the mathematics behind it is a bit tricky. The relation be twin primary and the secondary winding I understand, but that core to use and how many winds on the primary side I don’t understand.
What inductans shod it be on the primary winding and way.
Equations and explanations of them would be nice.

To get hold of a transformer is not the problem. I want to be able to calculate everything about the core and the windings.
If I take a core from a busted car amp, I don’t know so much about it. How much current can a take out before it saturates?
I have reed thru some notes about constructing a switched mode power supply, but I have not found anything about how to calculate the core and the windings. Just that if I do it wrong it will burn the switch transistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.