Adapting a Car Antenna to an F coaxial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,
this is my first real post ( I can tell you're thrilled).
My situation is that I have a CD changer box JVC with a FM modulator.
I wish to use an A/B switch to hook-up the car antenna and the FM mod output to, then out to the head unit. The problem is that the A/B switch is for coax cable ( I think it is called an "F" connector). So, I cut off the ends of a coax cable and put on Motorola (car antenna ends). My qusestion: can I do this? Will the JVC FM-modulator, and my head unit be "happy"?
Thank you in advance.

Thanks mylar & leadbelly

my original concern was that the CD changer (JVC X-200RF) documentation said that the performance of FM would be degraded after passing through it's FM modulator. So, I want to use an A/B switch for the regular car antenna and the FM modulator from the CD changer. This way the car antenna would more or less gor directly to the radio, and hopefully not suffer degraded signal quality. I had not hooked it up yet to see if in fact the antenna signal would be worse off for going through the FM modulator or not -- I just believed the documentation. ..
leadbelly: I could not find a Y locally
Finally, the A/B switch is for a video game / VCR hook up with (I think ) are called "F" connections; but the car antenna has regular (Ithink) Motorola connections. So, I opened up the A/B box and there was not enough distance between the box wall and the actuall switch to solder in the Motorola connections. :smash: So, I adapted a coaxial cable instead. My worry (due to relative electronic ignorance) is will both components (the FM modulator, and the Alpine CDM-7833 head unit) have any electrical trouble with this setup? Also, will the signal suffer by going through the A/B switch (because it was designed for a different signal)?

Thank you for your patient input.

Why not go into the Alpine HU with an audio line level output? I think most of them have pre ins. The changer should have a pre out, if not, take a peak inside & find the feed to the FM modulator. Keeping the audio unmodulated will improve the signal quality dramatically. This is an issue that I have with the sat radio receivers, too.

The connectors on the switch are most likely “F” connectors. After you put a few on & get that solid center conductor stuck in your finger, you will know where the “F” comes from…

Be advised that the switch you are talking about is most probably not an isolated switch, which may cause issues with the sources & the HU. If you really have to do it this way, get a decent isolated A/B switch. A “Y” is not the best choice as it will feed both signals at once to your HU.
Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.