Suggestions wanted- 10" Subwoofers for very small bandpass enclosures. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2005, 06:56 AM   #1
treedog is offline treedog  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions wanted- 10" Subwoofers for very small bandpass enclosures.

I need suggestions for a good 10" subwoofer up to about $100 (the less $$ the better at this point) that can be used in a very small bandpass enclosure of about 1 to 1.25 cubic foot internal volume total.

Currently I am looking at Kicker SOLO BARICs. I have found old school round 10" units for about $80 & the newer 10" square units for about $110. These seem to fit my application.

Looking for lower roll off of the enclosure I will be building to be around 45 hz or so.

I will have about 200watts and electronic crossover for it.

A little background info..............

I am in the planning stages of a bandpass enclosure for my 65 Shelby Roadster Replica. I have very limited space in the trunk and the passenger compartment will barely fit a driver & a passenger Also, this is an open car (no roof) and the car has a very loud sidepipe exhaust. I've got room for about a 1.25 cubic foot enclosure in the trunk directly behind the wall that is behind passenger and driver. I plan on putting the box in the trunk & porting it into the passenger compartment through the wall behind the seats between the passenger & driver.

I am planning a basic system that I want to be loud and clean. Not really looking for accuracy here just some loud tunes to go with the loud engine.

Thanks for any input!!
Old 13th January 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

By the way...this would be for a 4th order bandpass enclosure.
Old 14th January 2005, 12:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am in the planning stages of a bandpass enclosure for my 65 Shelby Roadster Replica.
It would be heresy to put an audio system into a Cobra, replica or not. One of the most wonderful aspects of that car is the tremendous sound produced by the exhaust. A stereo would only be an annoyance, if noticed at all.

Seriously, it's not worth a lot of effort. At most, I'd do a couple of full-range boxed speakers in the footwells, and forget the sub. That's just not what Cobras are about!

Tim
Old 14th January 2005, 01:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tim,

I built this car myself from a bare frame to the car that it is now....every single screw and bolt. My Cobra is ALL business, just as it should be. BUT....This is a custom car built by me, for me, & I need my tunes!!

I am planning on hiding the stereo system completely. The system is going in the trunk. The amp and radio will be mounted to the enclosure in the trunk (which this enclosure will be removable for racing, etc) . I'll be using an IR repeater in the passenger compartment to control the radio. The only thing visible in the cockpit will be the credit card size remote of the radio.

Front speakers will be 6.5" Infiniti 2 ways in sealed enclosures in the kick panels which will be covered in black grille cloth to blend in with the rug. I NEED some type of subwoofer. All my other cars have a system, this one is certainly not going to be without one. I have invested FAR too much time & money in it for ME not to be 100% pleased with it.

There are plenty of Cobra's with stereo systems, so I won't be the first. Besides, trust me... NO system will overpower my exhaust note when I blast through the gears

Thanks for any input.
Old 15th January 2005, 02:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I built this car myself from a bare frame to the car that it is now....every single screw and bolt. My Cobra is ALL business, just as it should be. BUT....This is a custom car built by me, for me, & I need my tunes!!
Too cool, but WHERE are the pictures??? You can't just talk about your Cobra without showing it off! And what kind of powertrain are you using? Whatever it is, I'm jealous.

Being many years out of the bandpass thing, I'm not sure what sort of design tools are available. Are you using software? Years ago I contemplated the same setup in my Alfa Spider, but came to my senses and just removed the head unit instead.

Have you looked at Adire's car line?

Another suggestion, although it may be frowned, upon is a pair of Harrison Lab's older 8" DVC's. They don't need much space, have an excellent xmax, and the remainder of their inventory is cheap. 45 Hz shouldn't be a problem for them.

Tim
Old 15th January 2005, 05:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tim,

Yup, this has been a pretty big project a couple years in the making for me. I've wanted to build one for as long as I can remember Car's got all new Ford parts... Ford 302 V8, Heavy Duty 5 Speed Trans, 4.11 Rear End, lots more. Only got about 200 miles on her,but they've all been incredible!!!

The car is not 100% done yet, still needs paint, chrome (sidepipes & rollbar), badges, and an audio system.

I think I will be going with a single Kicker Solobaric S10L5. Got all the specs from kicker and plugged them into Winisd as was suggested to me on this board. Looks like the Solobaric will give me exactly what I'm looking for.

Here is a pic of the car:

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see more pics at: MyKobra.com

Some of the website isn't done but goto "I'm Done" for some of the latest pics.

I will certainly post the results of this enclosure.

Thanks!!!
Old 16th January 2005, 05:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Very cool. Great pics of progress on your site, as well.

Quote:
The car is not 100% done yet, still needs paint, chrome (sidepipes & rollbar), badges, and an audio system.
At the risk of being off-topic... some of the most aggressive-looking Cobras I've seen had sidepipes painted flat. As in white, black or silver. It works well with the flat Hallibrand-ish wheels. You probably have a million pics, but if you'd like more to browse, I'd be happy to dig some out and scan them for you.

Do keep us posted on the enclosure construction and results.

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!