MTX 6500d Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright. I bought an MTX 6500d and used it for about a week. What I think happened was the power wire came out of the terminal and touched on the ground. What is wrong with the amp is 2 transistors are burnt. They are little and black and have 3 leads. I believe the numbers on them start with FET but I'm not positive. I've tried contacting MTX to get the parts replaced but have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get them?
Email me at weston@stage3-1.com Thanks.

mtx parts

i have dealt with mtx and have used therir equipment for almost 10 yaers i have 2 81000d amps that are modded from a dbdrag competitor and the gain pots are bad they said i could get them from MITEK them if i called but its winter and have not got arround to doing it but i have their website here http://www.mitekfactoryoutlet.com/products/brand.cfm?brand=3
give them a call and see what they say its not the same guy from mtx tech support although wilson did help me out a few times

If the power supply transistors have already failed once before, it may mean that they're not quite up to the job for the way you run the amplifier. The Z48s are rated for less current than the 75339 (64A vs 75A). I'd suggest using the HUF75339P3 (which was likely the original part). As was mentioned, they are available at Mouser.com.

There are better transistors but it wouldn't be wise to use them because they are typically harder to drive. If you are not experienced enough to determine whether the 'better' parts are working as they should, you may well destroy them (possibly doing more damage to the amp than there is now).

IF both the powersupply mosfets and output mosfets are ok, then you have a couple of choices, i repaired plenty of these 6500d and they all seem to have the same problem. Sometimes the Op-amps get shorted, easy to check if you have a scope, also on the pic, check to see if any of those tranistors are good. Usually the Q110 , if its bad, you will get no sound from your amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks for all the replies , i wish i knew more about this stuff to feel more comfortable fixing it , i'm just nervous fixing it , i can't afford to send it out to mtx to get fixed and i definetly can't afford a new amp , not right now , so thats why i'm nervous fixing it

The HUF75339 is probably the power supply FET, not the regulator. The regulator FETs are the small FETs mounted to the heatsink near the large filter capacitors.

If any of the power supply FETs (75339s) have blown, you need to replace all of them. I think there are 10 total (5 on each side of the sink). If you can't get the HUF75339s, an IRF3205 should be a good substitute.

You should check the output transistors (larger transistors mounted to the heatsink) to see if any are shorted.

Sometimes, when the PS FETs fail, the driver transistors Q102-Q105 fail. If either R111 or R112 is open (or out of tolerance), at least two of the driver transistors have failed.

Any time that the amp has power applied, you MUST have the transistors clamped tightly to the heatsink. The regulator transistors can fail within seconds and can do extensive damage when they fail.

Rottdog said:
does anyone know where i can get the 75339p or something better for my 6500d , these damn things went once before and i love this amp so i don't wanna have to go out and get another one

I just ordered some of these for a MTX 6001D that I'm going to attempt to repair. Mouser electronics (mouser.com) had everything I needed. With thanks to the community here helping me identify what I needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.