PPI amp (power precision) blew out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2004, 08:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to profuse007
Default PPI amp (power precision) blew out

-i just hook up this lil system in my car and driving it down several days after and the sounds cut off.

-i believe i bridge the amp wrong, i prolly mistaking w/ the left/right vs white/red from HUnit to the amp.

-just open the amp and one of the semiconductor has burnt. its black rubber and has double end conductor to the board. the board label it (the semiconductor) TS1.

where can i find this TS1? can someone specify what this semi is is its category?
Old 28th January 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
TO-3 is offline TO-3  Peru
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TO-3
Which amp is it?
Old 29th January 2005, 05:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default PPI amp.

Hi, I think what you are looking at is the Thermal Sensor. This is the designation TS1. This is a special fuse that is supposed to open up when a preset temperature is reached. There is not normally a lot of current passed through those so I find it odd that it would burn. If it is burnt, I would think there is a lot more damage to the amp then just that piece. Did you loose the ground connection on the amp? That might cause a problem like that. Regards, Steve
Old 29th January 2005, 05:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply. i thot about grounding too. iwill try to remount the ground at a solid spot.

since its a thermal preset protector or whatever it is, can i replace it w/ a fuse to test if the amp still work?

btw, all of the other semi doesnt seem to affected to the naked eye ...... could it fool ones eye?

btw, i tried to look for that piece on www.mouser.com but there are so much thermal sensor. can someone help me find it? i am not familiar w/ semiconductors.
Old 29th January 2005, 07:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have a DMM? You can measure the switchers to see if they are blown. Measure from the tab to pins 1 and 3 and across 1 and 3. If it is short, then the part(s) is bad. The amp will fuction without that thermal sensor, and if it does, then you know you have no other problems. What amp do you have? I have just about all the schematics for the Power Class series. I have a dead PC amp that I will crack open later to see if there is a part number on the TS's.
Old 29th January 2005, 03:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Precision Power (PPI, www.DEI.com is the maker)
Mosfet Power Series
PPI-2150M 2x150wrms
300W @ .02%THD
40HM load -12V DC

those are the info i can get on that amp.

btw, the theral sensor (ithink) has no continunity so its fried. the thermal sensor is not a tab-looking or square looking, its a symmetrical tubular structure that looks like a regular resistor but black rubber.

when to think of it what you said, its fried.

any chances?

just to let you know, i have no knowledge of how to build an amp like yall guys. if yall can take me though this w/o givin urself a headache would be much appreciated. the thing that i am only good at is using my DMM to test circuits.
Old 29th January 2005, 05:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

OUCH!!!!! That thing is old!!! When I worked at PPI, I had to fix a couple of those things. A PITA!!!! The thermal sensor should not measure low, so it may still be good. Unless it looks visually cracked. Like I said above, measure the switchers, the MosFETs in the power supply, to see if any of those devices are shorted.
Old 30th January 2005, 07:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

hey am prolly gonna waste ur time but since my hands are somewhat wet, i want to mess w/ the amp to see if i can learn seomthing. so if i can take a pic of the board, can you pin point out what to test w/?

again, i honestly do not know how to test mosfet or relation to transistor, nor switches. what exactly are switches? when you say switches, the only things that comes to mind is relay, but still puzzled.

anything is koo w/ me.

thanks for your times and others here.
Old 30th January 2005, 09:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Switchers are what we call the MosFETs in power supplies. When a DC voltage is applied to a transformer, there is a spike of current that occurs, and it induces a voltage in the secondary windings. This is, pretty much, an instantaneous pulse of current and only provides a pulse of power to the secondary. So the 12V, that our automotive electrical system supplies, is worthless as it is. Transformers are used to step-up, or step-down voltage, but they can only work with alternatiing current. With AC, an electromagnetic field induces the secondary wingings with a current. Because of the DC resistance of the coils of wire in each, the primary and secondary, a voltage must occur across each side of the coils. If the secondary has more windings than the primary, then the voltage is stepped-up and if the secondary has less widings, than the voltage is stepped down.
Since the DC voltage of the car system is not really useful for an amplifier, we need to convert this to alternating current, so it can be stepped-up. The 'switchers' are MosFETs that are used to open and close the path of current to ground. So one side is, basically, connected to the battery(+12V), and the other side is connected to ground, through the primary winding of the transformer.
Now we have a IC called a PWM(pulse-width modulator), that chops the DC voltage to a certain duty-cycle(also abbrv. DC) and is connected to the gates of the 'switchers'. This PWM chip is used to turn the MosFETs on and off. This creates AC so the transformer can step-up the voltage to the secondaries.

It's late and it is time for bed. Hopefully this will give you a little insight as to how a switching power supply works.
Old 30th January 2005, 07:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

not really quite understanding what switchers are, but can you explain the actual pin of the switcher(mosFET) and what it does, maybe i can understand it better.

how could i test it? does it need to be desolder? in the mean time ill search the net on more of this mosFET.

is there an analogy to this mosFET chip or a break down of components thats built into this one chip?

BTW, what is the simpliest amp called? maybe i can learn from the simpliest amp and move up to understand whats goin inside the chip.

iono if you taken circuits in college or whatever, do you learn in stuff also? i havent taken the course yet but have to soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!