Elliott Switchmode power supply PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hy guys,
I want to build a smps using rod elliott schematic.
Since he doesn't makes pcb's for this project I tried and made one myself.So here it is...can anyone see anything wrong except the fact that I have 2 wires not connected?
Those 2 wil have coper wires on the mounting face of the pcb, but my real concern are the mosfet's.The pcb soldering side will have thicker wires than in the picture.My concern are the mosfet's.
So please I need some feedback

Attachments

• ssmps.jpg
    ssmps.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,085
You should make the traces as thick as possible, especially in the high current areas around the MOSFETs. I assume this is double-sided? Some traces cross. You may want to try a single-sided with the other side all ground plane.
This looks like a tricky circuit to build. I assume you've got the right test equipment and some experience in this area. If not, try something simpler first.

Ok some things to consider:

I will make it a one side pcb. I think youre sugestion with the other side to be grounded it's a very good one.

The traces That cross are actualy the same wire(Gnd in most of the cases). I have only two wires on the other side...one is gnd and one is 12v+ after filtering.

I will make everything as thick as I can (especialy the ones that are for the transformer and mosfets).The ground will be where it is possible even 2 or 3 cm thick.

And I may have the test equipment from my student lab, but I am not sure yet :D .

National Semiconductor has an application note for their Simple Switcher line of SMPS chips -- http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1229.pdf --
you should take a look as it explains guidelines for traces, ground returns etc. It's a good first start. Some of the traces which carry a lot of current have high di/dt -- so their impedance has to be taken into consideration, even at relatively low switching speeds.

national also has some guidelines for using the LM3524 chip which is a "cousin" of the SG3525 -- they have a PCB layout for a switcher using the LM3524.

Woah...

:eek: That layout will likely not work very well - if at all. There are several (I'm being nice) design errors in the layout. The entire layout should be about half that size, at most. The traces not only need to be appropriately thicker, but also routed so as not to radiate or pick up the HF current pulses. I see a lot of antennas on that board. Additionally, the first 20 ampere draw will vaporize a lot of copper. :dodgy:

Here is a layout undergoing testing and prototyping for use with just about any medium power amplifier a DIY'er would want to install in their car. It can handle up to 400W (audio) with ease.

Something along these lines should be your goal. Note that there are copper bus bars used in this design in addition to a 2 side PCB.

Attachments

• 12vsmps.jpg
    12vsmps.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,961
Hello all.
Nice to see that there is still interest on the Project 89 in ESP.
I wrote that article about 2.5 years ago!

Well, in fact I have designed a very improved version of that power supply, as well as some other stuff, like Class-D audio amplifiers and another SMPS for 230V AC input. We are going to sell that online, all ready built and tested.
We are starting to develop the web page where you will be able to see lots of specifications and info on these and other future products. Please have a look at:

www.coldamp.com

It is still under construction but please be patient!

Best regards,
Sergio

Oh you didn't!

I'm as small a company as you are, but will there be OEM pricing for your products? Or licensing? I might like to use those power supplies. :nod:

I'm assuming the 240VAC version simply uses a voltage doubler that can be bypassed for 120VAC operation?

Is this a similar design to the USMPS in the Yahoo groups?

I'm as small a company as you are, but will there be OEM pricing for your products? Or licensing? I might like to use those power supplies.

Nice to hear that. Of course we can talk about these things. Are you mainly interested on the amplifiers or the power supplies?

Please write to info@coldamp.com and we will be very pleased to give you all the info you need.

BTW: I don't know the yahoo groups SMPS, if you can post the URL...

Best regards,
Sergio

C'mon Sergio! Get cracking on those power supplies! I'm still waiting! :) :D :smash:

I'm actually working on a PCB for P89 as well, but it needs revision from my last attempt. My original plan was to make a controller board which could use different transformers and possibly fewer MOSFETS for a low power version. It looks like I'll be scrapping that idea. I might still be able to use different size transformers, but they'll have to be adapted to fit on a somewhat larger PCB.

Well... Suffice it to say that I haven't decided yet.

Thanks. The web page has only some basic info now, it is like a introduction card ;)
The complete pricelist will be available as soon as all the modules are ready to sell, we still cannot give you an estimation , sorry.
The plans are to sell the complete modules, assembled and tested, although I don't discard a collaboration with Rod Elliot to offer the boards and perhaps the difficult to get components, mainly for the car SMPS.

We are having problems with the e-mail address listed in the web (info@coldamp.com), so perhaps some info messages can be lost, sorry for that. We are trying to solve it.

As soon as all is ready, I will be glad to post some info in this forum.

Thanks for your interest

Sergio

simple looking SMPS

Has anyone seen or tried building this stripped down version SMPS? It looks fairly straightforward. I've got to test it out, I just wouldn't mind hearing some feedback first! Especially on what would be an acceptable ferrite core toroid to use? I've got all the rest of the parts ready to go.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser address bar to see schematic, and then expand the diagram.

http://valveaudio.tripod.com/images/schematics/switcher1.JPG

Justin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.