Sch for Power Amp for Cars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
depends

If you are looking for something that will put out 1000w, everything is a big problem.

On the other hand there are a couple of threads here describing how to use the tl494 chip with a handful of other components to make power supplies capable of >200w no problem. So far my opening up of car amps has shown more SMPS based on this chip than anything else, the largest of which was capable of >600w bridged into 4 ohms.

If you don't need to drive low impedance loads, a gainclone based car amp would probably offer outstanding quality and be relatively easy to assemble, with the right emitter follower I'm sure a gainclone would be made to work effectively into very low impedance loads as well.

I'd recommend searching in the caraudio section for the tl494 thread, lots of great info there. Rod Elliot has a known good schematic on his website, I think some of the guys here have used it and published amps to go with it.

Good luck

Stuart

I agree that almost all car amplifiers nowadays have a TL494 or similar chip. Most bigger amplifiers just have 2 (e.g. Kenwood KAC-1023 uses two TL494 SMPS in one housing) or 4 power supplies to achieve more output power with the following amplifier sections.

It seems to be cheaper and easier to handle to just "parallel" ~500W SMPS rather than one 1 1kW SMPS.

This is a standard SMPS , used in a whole bunch of Korean 200-300W RMS amplifiers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.