Impedance Curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This what I do to measure cab resonant frequency(and frequency response)

get a pair of good quality subs, they don't need to be huge, I used JL8W-1's, put them in a sealed enclosure with a Q of around .5, mount the drivers on opposite sides of the enclosure (so their mechanical motion canels our)

Using test tones and an spl meter measure the "ground plane" response of the enclosure, enclosure flat on the ground with the mike 1m away, also on the ground (do this outside away from buildings)

I used 20hz to 100hz in 1hz steps, start at 20hz and push the volume up untill the drivers are going fairly hard (but still in linear motion, no amp distortion ect) Measure the voltage output of the amp at this stage so you can calibrate the other tests accuratly.

Measure the db reading at each step and record them.

Position the enclosure in the vehicle in the location you intend to use, repeat the above procedure remembering to calibrate the amp output voltage and record the readings again.

Subtract the ground plane readings from the cab readings and you have the + and sometimes - db response of the cab.

If you have Bassbox or another sub enclosure program that lets you input room response data you can plot the actual response you would get in the cab.

like so;

Attachments

• boot gain.gif
    boot gain.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 88
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.