Is passive delay circuit possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
A friend of mine uses 4th order bandpass subwoofer, and bass is REALLY late. Is there any way to make a delay on other speakers without digital processing? I couldn't think of any way but making cables really long, but that's obviosly not an option (300km for 1ms :rolleyes: ).

Well, I can hear it and it's disturbingly late.
I tried to simulate it in JBL speakershop, roughly estimating dimensions of chambers (i know parameters of driver) and it is somewhere near 30ms at worst.

But do anyone have answer to original question? Is such thing possible?

Analog delay...

Such delay is really possible, but I dont think we, humans, can detect it.... I have seen such delay circuits employed in old full-analog color tv to delay the chrominence signal (C signal) few hundreds of nano seconds to properly catch up with luminence signal. It works there because the C signal is at 4.33 (PAL) or 3.58MHz (NTSC).

The bass spectrum of audio lies just between 20 to 500Hz and these low frequencies cannot be delayed at much as 30mS by passive networks. It should be much less than few hundreds of nano seconds.

Obviously such delay, if present in audio circuit, we wont be able to sense it.

Try reversing polarity on the subs or speakers. This may correct the phase issues you are experiencing with the delay in your subs. Re positioning the sub can also help with phase issues.

Otherwise you can tune the 4th order to reduce group delay by adjusting enclosure volumes and port length.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.