reasonably cheap reasonably good active xo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a 2-way active xo to cross over to my subwoofer. 80-90Hz probably, I suppose ~18 db/octave, variable xo frequency would be nice but not a must. I contacted a local seller and they wanted $200 for a brand I have never heard of, I see some online from garbage brands like pyle for as little as $20. It doesn't need to be amazing, its not for super amazing hifi, I just don't want to get something that really distorts and has channel separation problems. Suggestions?

I actually considered making a passive line level xo, but I am not sure how much of a problem the insertion loss might be, and I am lazy.

pyle xovers...

Hi,

I just bought 2 of these things from parts express for $15 each. I was actually amazed by what you get for your money. I have evsicerated them for other purposes, attached you should find a pic of the guts.

There are 3 opamps on the board, the dip14 is an6554, the sil8 parts are njm4558, I haven't taken the time to check these out yet, but I figure for sub 100hz work, they are probably fine. Caps are mainly electrolytics from YEC, lowest voltage I've found is 25, so the 12v supply could probably be increased to the limits of the IC's to give more headroom...resistors look like generic 5%, probably carbon, but no way (I know of) to tell. There are a handful of green non-electrolytic caps...

As soon as Im done hacking them into the subs I'm constructing I'll be able to give a better review of the sonic quality or lack thereof.

Stuart

Attachments

• pylexr2.jpg
    pylexr2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 187
I don't think products could be judged by their brandnames.(although there are some exceptions)

I have acquired a "konzert" car electronic crossover which cost me about US$17 for the unit. and when I had a look at the insides, I get all metal film resistors and metallized caps. gain control is an alps pot, all electrolytics are 25V and 105°C op amps are LF353. it has very good SQ and headroom. local stores over here which carry high end equipment say that this brand is no good. I have one eq/crossover from this store (supposed to be from a good brand, I'm not naming it) and the cheap crossover has much better parts than it (it has greencaps, carbon resistors, etc but the op amps are TL074/72 and have good quality pots)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.