decoding input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, am trying to figure out the leads going into an old pioneer eq/preamp that i'm trying to hook up between an mp3 player's headphone out, and a power amp.

There are essentially six leads altogether.

I can figure the line in left (white), line in right (red), and i presume a common ground for that (its like a shield around the red and white). these wires are thinner, and i presume are for the audio signal.

Then besides the above shielded wire, there's a red wire, orange wire, and another common ground which forms the shield around all the wires. What's this red and orange wire? I figured one must be the 12v, but what's the other? any clues? thanks!

Could be a remote signal or smthg.

Usually they have a bigger capacitor (1000-2200µF) installed across the power lines . You should be able to find those. If not, maybe they have installed a big diode across the power lines . It´s connected in reverse to protect all curcuits if the power cables are mixed up during installation.

What´s the voltage on that cable ? Try to measure voltage when the unit is turned on and off, maybe this is an output for switching purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.