Colors of Audio Cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 1992 Nissan Sentra, and am trying to find out if anyone knows what each color for the in dash wires that go to the stereo stand for..

EX. Red wire = left rear speaker
Red w/ black stripe = Right rear speaker
ETC. ETC. ...

If anyone knows all of these, or knows how i could find out online, I would really appriciate it!

My Z32TT (1992) uses the colors as follows:

Left front: blue and black /white stripe

Right front: brown and black /red stripe

For the rear speakers the Z uses a clarion active amplifier.

Bur you should be able to get an aftermarket ISO-adapter , they are available for a lot of aftermarket radios. You should be able to get those at radio-shack or a car hifi dealer.

Looks like this or similar :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Buy the wiring harness adaptor, really.

It's so much better than hacking up your factory wiring harness, and more reliable as well.

Be careful. Many manufacturers change their wiring harness colours model to model, and sometimes even year to year. What works for one may not work for another.

And then again, it might. You can always try a "pop test" to locate speaker wires.

Step 1. Remove speaker grilles so that you can see the speaker. This is important for determining relative phase.

Step 2. Locate wires in the wiring harness that are not connected to power or ground. There should be 8 in a typical 4 speaker setup.

Step 3. Using a 9V battery (A 1.5V "C" cell will also work, but requires a sharper eye) try contacting wires together until you hear a "pop" from a speaker. Momentary contact is all that is recommended or required.

Step 4. Observe each speaker as it "pops" If the speaker cone moves forward, towards the interior of the vehicle, the polarity of the battery is in phase. If it moves back away from the interior of the vehicle it is out of phase. Label the wires for the speakers as you identify them for location (LR, RR, LF, RF) and polarity (pos (+) or neg (-))

Check your wires with the ignition in the ACC position, as the switched power will be "floating" with the ignition off (Although sometimes it will show ground, depending on the wiring scheme used by the car manufacturer.

I still highly recommend the wiring harness adapters, if possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.