Best Highe End Mid Range Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2004, 08:09 AM   #1
coogj1 is offline coogj1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best Highe End Mid Range Speakers

I know there are tons out there, ie... Focal utopia, Morel, Vifa etc... But i have only heard the focal utopia's. OK not great..

Would love to hear your comments on what you think is the best natural sounding mid's on the market.. despite price. James
Old 12th November 2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ATC 3" super linear dome mid. almost 400 UKGP and they are big, really f*king big. If I could get a set in my car I probably would.
Old 12th November 2004, 01:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, they are indeed BIG. I can only fit 6.25" mids... so the search continues. thx
Old 12th November 2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

C-Quenze by audioTechnology of Denmark I have a set of ther 6" midbasses. Are you looking for Mids or Midbass? how low do you want to go. From you post I presumed you would only need to go down to 500 or 300Hz, with a mid and you would have a seperate midbass for the lower stuff, 3 way fronts in effect.
Old 13th November 2004, 08:10 AM   #5
shaunly is offline shaunly  United States
diyAudio Member

the DLS Iridium 3-ways components are very nice set. It has very smooth, natural mids and highs. My friend had the whole DLS setup in his 4runner.
Old 16th November 2004, 08:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default DLS Iridium

Thanks for your reply's. The DLS Iridium sounds like a good choice. According to what i have read, these are similar to the Dynaudio's... Any thoughts on the 2-way set. I think the installation of a 3-way set could be a problem? Thanks, James
Old 17th November 2004, 02:44 PM   #7
graks is offline graks  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to graks
The Lotus speakers by Seas are extremely good. These speakers have won many championships. http://www.seas.no
Old 25th December 2004, 08:05 AM   #8
2cr4ck is offline 2cr4ck  Australia
diyAudio Member

2nd to Graks

I bought Seas Lotus Ref set, problem I cant install yet. Need to make door pod cause could not fit. At this moment its sitting in my room in sealed box (8.2l). Sounds good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box3.jpg (46.7 KB, 602 views)
Old 25th December 2004, 07:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to minitruck_freq
check out

www.madisound.com
www.meniscusaudio.com
www.solen.ca
www.partsexpress.com

all sell quality speakers from Seas, Scan Speak, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Dayton ect. ect.
Old 27th December 2004, 02:32 PM   #10
maylar is offline maylar  United States
diyAudio Member

There are lots of nice speakers out there. Differences in high end stuff can be very subtle so it's best to listen and judge for yourself. Unfortunately it's impossible to hear them all in real installations, and the install makes all the difference. The best speakers in a poor installation will not sound as well as mediocre speakers in a great installation.

That said, just about any component set that costs $400 or more will be a great speaker. Personally, I like the Boston Acoustics Z Series. Their midrange is the most natural and transparent of the speakers I've heard. MB Quart's Q Series is also excellent, though some people don't like the bright tweeters. Both are in the $1000 range. JL Audio's high end (XR? ZR?) are also excellent.

Don't overlook Kicker's new SS Series either.. they're getting rave reviews and they can be had for under $400 on eBay. If you can get past the funky grille design.

Hide this!Advertise here!