In dash CD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am considering a in dash CD player for my new Suzuki Alto. I can choose between Sony Xplod, Pioneer and Kenwood. Perhaps even Blaupunkt (expensive) or JVC but the first three are more freely available than Blaupunkt and JVC. I want a CD player with an FM tuner and MP3 playback capability.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Vivek

I first had a Blaupunkt, which went with the car when i sold it. After that a Denon. It cot stolen, but I used the "opportunity" (hmmm...?) to sitch back to Blaupunkt, which has now served me for 6 years, approx. 2 hours each working day.
In real life. it turned out to have better reception of remote transmitters (at least in my car) than the Denon.
An added bonus is the KeyCard which came with my Blaupunkt. (Not all of them have that). It's a very efficient way of making the radio useless for thieves.

The choice is yours, but I'll be looking for the blue dot again (Which is what Blaupunkt means in german).

Don't get fooled by high power output ratings. They're about as reliable as politicians. ;)

If in doubt, the output power can never be more than the fuse rating times 14. (Make that 12, because the player itself uses some watts just to keep its inner circuits alive.

Jennice

Uhm... forgot:
Also keep things realistic: I'm not aware of the use of class D (switch mode) amps being used in head-units. Thus, efficiency is roughly 50-60%. This makes a lot of heat - and where does that go? Ever seen a head unit with massive heat sinks? :whazzat:

Jennice

Imix,

It seems the Sony's have improved their CD players then?
Some 4 years ago, a colelague had a Sony, which was very picky about burned CD's. It would only accept a few brands with certain reflection grades (and Sony discs were not among them) :rolleyes:
I'm very pleased with the tracking ability of my Blaupunkt. If othwers do it better, I'm impressed.

Jennice

i don't think sony xplod is the way to go. while we are speakin of cd players i got a question along the same lines. recently had my 2 subs (2 10" audiobahn alum10q) subs hooked up into my 95' nissan. i have now sold that car and i want to put them into my 96 explorer. my dad is gay though and doesn't want me to replace the cd changer with a aftermarket deck. so, is there anyway that i can hook up my subs to the stock radio.

Hi,
I am going to revive this thread with one question. I am not going in for high end cd players for now. My choice is narrowed down to Sony Xplod and Pioneer. I want to know how they compare in terms of reliability and sound quality.
One problem in India is that Pioneer is not available from the company. It has to be bought in the grey market which puts a big question mark on the quality. Whereas I can just go to a company showroom and pick up a Sony.
I had a look at the Xplod CDX-F5510. Anyone used this player?
Please help. Thanks.

Vivek

I've always been happy with pioneer, sony is ok but I would put it below pioneer. Ive havent sold for over a year but one thing nice on sony was the DSO digital stage organizer, neat for in car. pioneer 6700 and up have a ton of features. Lower pioneers are fine but nothing spectacular stands out. I'm not really sure how grey markets are, i guess no warranty but pioneer has had very good reliablility. Pioneer 8400mp, 8500mp had problems with the faceplate connections. So I would steer away from that motor face 9600, 9700 ect you know it when you see it, but i think thats out of price range but I don't know $$ for grey market goods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.