Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions to put in this case
Suggestions to put in this case
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2004, 10:13 PM   #1
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member
cm961's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Default Suggestions to put in this case

Hi guys,

A friend of mine scored this neat case.

I'm thinking about cutting it in half to make two car amp cases out of it. The question is, what kind of a design to use?

I would love to build a SMPS but I've never done one before. Feel free to encourage me to do so. My other option is to get a car audio IC like TDA8571 etc.

Perhaps I could make SMPS out of one case, and an amplifier out of the other.

Right now I have my clarion unit powering my dash tweeters and rear speakers (Alpines), and then I have a volvo power amp (60Wx2, discrete with SMPS, in dash) powering my door speakers (which I build sealed enclosures, in door, for. JL 6-1/2" VRs.).

I have a single 10 inch sub in a custom made box (about 3/4 cubic foot) powered by a 140W (well, it says) Crossfire Audio amp in bridged mode.

All amplifiers have they're own grounds going back to the battery (including the head unit). And all power connections come from the amplifier terminals. I have a 1uF cap that I haven't installed yet. I believe once thats installed all grounds and power should come from that, right?

Anyway, back to topic. I can build an amp for the tweeters and/or rear speakers, or I can build a more powerful sub amp and use the crossfire for the rear speakers, or tweeters.

I'm not adverse to chip amps, or discrete. I don't think tube is suitable here, although I love it for guitar. I don't have any tube stereo amps.


Thanks guys!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg case2.jpg (28.7 KB, 102 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 12:10 AM   #2
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Heidelberg

The TL494 is a very common IC für regulated and non-regulated DC-converters. There are some tech-sheets available at texas instruments. Most Asian amplifiers use this IC or a similar type.

Maybe you start getting a cheap amplifier and test things out at first. SMPS (even in cheap amplifiers) are not just "shaken out off the hand"
  Reply With Quote


Suggestions to put in this caseHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is a TO3 case better? Jonny Hotnuts Car Audio 31 2nd October 2013 08:08 AM
Anti-Wave Guide Computer Case ? Suggestions ? musicphile Everything Else 6 4th February 2007 01:51 PM
Case of NSB's 2litre Swap Meet 7 5th January 2007 01:13 AM
What case is this? lanierb Class D 2 4th January 2007 10:14 PM
suggestions for where to get some heatsinks\case roofingboom Parts 3 1st June 2004 01:31 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio