rear deck speakers for good midbass kick - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2004, 06:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to curtis73
Default rear deck speakers for good midbass kick

My wife's tercel has door speakers in front and deck speakers in the back. Right now they are 5.25" all around, but the doors will take 6.5 and it actually looks like the cutouts in the rear deck are 8". The problem in the tercel is that the panels are so incredibly weak, nearly ALL bass from the speakers is absorbed or cancelled. I put the same head unit and speakers in my wifes car as I did my BMW and the difference is indescribable. She likes well-rounded sound, but never boomy. She hates rap and listens to jazz and classical, but the poor thing only gets weak mids and plenty of highs.

The front doors will get 6.5" separates, but what can I put in the deck to make some mid/bass. Can I run some 8" mid/subs free air? Cut for 6x9s? Make some small fiberglass boxes under the deck for some 8"s?
Old 25th October 2004, 01:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SupraGuy Send a message via Yahoo to SupraGuy
If you can fit 8" speakers in the rear, then that ought to be all that's needed.

True the panels are wimpy, the Tercel was made to be lightweight, fuel efficient and reliable, not exactly your wish list for an audio system.

You could reinforce the panel with fibreglass, or even build boxes and bolt the mounting panel to the rear deck. The problem is that the trunk springs tend to interfere. If you replace them with a pneumatic strut you have a lot more room to play with.

You could build a rear deck cover from MDF and/or fibreglass, to replace the factory part. Alternately if you have access to a welder, you could reinforce the panel with some steel. You'll also want dynamat or similar.

Free air is much easier to install (Provided that you've room to install it at all) but I believe in enclosures for best sound quality.
Old 25th October 2004, 05:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to curtis73
sweet. Great ideas! thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!