amp schematics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
cess308 is offline cess308  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking amp schematics

Hey, anyone know where I could get schematics for the internal wiring of a rockford-fosgate car amp? I've got a blown diode inside and I need to replace it. I need to know what # it is first. Any help is much appreciated, thx
-Dan
Old 21st October 2004, 07:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to scottjasonm Send a message via MSN to scottjasonm Send a message via Yahoo to scottjasonm
Is it an old Punch amp (pre- mid-90's). If so, call them up they
can email you a pdf.

Does anyone know about how to get older PPI amp schematics?

- Jason
Old 22nd October 2004, 04:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's a punch 600.5 I believe its the newest model they have out, if not the one just before that. It's got a blown rectifier diode (D6) and possibly a few blown output transistors. I can't read the values on the diode bc it exploded...lol. The schematics should have the value somewhere if I could only get my hands on one..... thx for the input jason
Old 25th October 2004, 05:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No way they are going to just fork over their latest schematic to anyone! Think about it...

Maybe there is another way to get part #'s...look at other diodes in circuit, check opposite channel for the same parts, get #'s off of them?

-Matt
Old 26th October 2004, 06:44 PM   #5
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
is the diode palinly sitting on the PCB or is it on the heatsink? if it is sitting on the PCB (and near the B+ and GND terminals) it may be used only for polarity protection. commonly, I see those are 1N540X types.

if they are mounted on the heatsink, they might be high speed rectifiers, those are more difficult to find, but usually, there are several more side by side. just look at the numbers of the ones not blown.

(although since you have blown output transistors, you might have blown the rectifier diodes)
Old 28th October 2004, 07:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all, thx for all the replies. It is a rectifier diode(black with a silver band). I only found two of them on the entire circuit board. The other is in good shape, but it is smaller. It is not really close to anything, it actually looks intentionally isolated. I found some rectifier diodes at radio shack that are close to the same physical size, what are the dangers of putting a bigger one than originally in there? Diodes only job is keep current going one way, so how bad is it to put one that will keep more current out? I know nothing about rectifier diodes so if this is a really stupid question, sorry.
Old 28th October 2004, 09:52 AM   #7
sdoom is offline sdoom  Germany
diyAudio Member

the diodes shouldn´t be the critical part here. Usually you can exchange those without any problems, as long as pins and power ratings are the same. but keep in mind that there can still be huge differences in max. current or power even when the housing is the same size!

If you can read the name of the second diode you should be able to get the first diode as well, they are complementary. If you get other diodes than make sure they have similar ratings .

But it is very seldom that only the diodes are burned, usually there´s a short in the amplifier section as well.
Old 28th October 2004, 05:34 PM   #8
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
ah. the black plastic package with the white band. I'm about 75% sure it's the reverse polarity protection diode.

Hide this!Advertise here!