problem with bass blockers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got disappointed when ever i would find a song i love, turn it up, just to hear crackling, so i went down to an audio shop to find out what i could do without replacing the cab speakers... they mentioned bass blockers, and said just hook this up to the positive wire of the cab speakers. i did that kind of... (their "premium" factory speakers) and the wiring was slightly messed up, on one of them the port said positive and the wire was green... on the other one the positive was hooked up to the black... well they were going to charge me 30 dollars to install each set... (almost 90 dollars total after tax...) so when i installed them, i hooked them up to the positive port of the speakers, but even so, niether one of them are working. I had someone whose an audio expert listen to it and he said something was wrong, checked it out, and said i know for a fact at least one of them is hooked up right, no reason for them both to sound the same without it.

It basically sounds the same with or without them, so i would like to know if they actually work to reduce the low's out of the cab speakers. and what i could possibly do to fix it. one of them i hooked up to the negative wire but that was only because that wire was hooked up to the positive port of the speaker. (korean's factory cant wire a sound system right i suppose, i dont think it was the jap's: its a hyundai) (parts from japan, assembled in korea)

A bass blocker is essentially a capacitor, which provides a 6dB/octave low frequency cutoff. In theory this is good for small speakers which cannot reproduce low bass.

For what it's worth, it's generally easier and cheaper to just calculate the cap value that you need and go buy one at an electronics store, the only trick being that it should be nonpolar.

A large part of the problem is likely the head unit itself, and the internal amplifier. These things clip relatively easily at volume levels that could be called moderate. It may not be the speaker at all. It's also possible that you've blown the paper speaker cone which will cause problems. Distortion kills speakers, and what I've seen of those Hyundai head units, there's plenty of distortion to go around.

Hyundai's build quality has come a long way, however, you still have to remember that they're cheap cars, and built using cheap components. They save money (So that they can sell you the car cheaply) wherever they can, and a high quality head unit is not exactly high on the list of priorities. It needs to be there, and it needs to play, but it's more important that it be cheap than good.

I'm not knocking Hyundai. Like I said, they've come a long way. I'd rather buy a Hyundai than most domestic vehicles. (Of course the last 5 vehicles that I've bought have been Toyotas. :) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.