MP3 Auxiliary input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen on some newer car stereo head units that they have an input for an MP3 player. I was wondering if I could do that, and I've found one that would go through my stock stereo via the 5 cd changer socket but it's $60 and I've found FM modulators that connect directly to the line. How would the modulator sound, i'am a little skeptic, but since it's directly connected i don't know. THanks for any comments.

FM modulators have the limitations of hte FM tuner. If you look at the frequency response and S/N ratio of your FM tuner, you'll find that it's relatively poor. This is the BEST performance that you can get from your MP3 player, then.

Input through the CD changer port works fine, and is generally recommended.

If you want to do it yourself, it will vary. You have a few problems to overcome.

1. You need a way to turn on the stereo, and select your aux port.

2. You need to be able to apply volume, balance and fader controls to your input.

3. Presumably you still want regular function of your stereo.

I've never found a way to have all three.

The closest that I've found is with my old OEM unit, I added a set of pre-ins (A search of this forum should result in details, BTW.)

What I did was to disconnect the AM stereo decoder chip. This is after the AM tuner function, so it does not suffer the degradation of the AM tuner. The radio would then be set to "AM" for the aux port to function. This means that there's no AM radio in the car, but I decided that for the time being, I could live with that.

It worked nicely. While I was at it, I wired pre-outs at the amplifier stage input. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.