JL Audio vs Polk Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cannot decide between JL Audio and Polk Audio. which would you guys recommend?

Specifically, at the moment, I am deciding between a 4" coaxial from JL Audio (XR400-CX) and 4x6" Component Plate from Polk Audio (MMC460). But the decision also tough because I am going to match the rest of my speakers in my system to which one I choose. They both make good speakers but which would be the better of the two, in your opinion? Why you chose the brand would help too.

thanks

I'd generally tend to choose a component set over a coaxial speaker as a general preference.

As to brand names, I usually refuse to get into that. Individual speaker lines within a brand name make a difference, and even some speaker lines have different size speakers where overall sound quality varies. You should go take a serious listen to the speakers, and choose the one that you think sounds best.

As I stated before, I tend to like component sets better than coax speakers. Coax speakers tend to have either very simple (Like a single capacitor) crossovers, which cannot be altered. This means that you get what you get. There are some sets which have outboard crossovers as well. If I were to buy a set of coaxial speakers, this would be an absolute MUST for me.

With the outboard crossover for a component set, this allows the possibility of bi-amping. You may never choose to do this, but at least the option is there. It also means that you can choose to improve the crossover. A good set will have a second order (12dB/octave) crossover. You will find that this will tend to sound better than a first order (6dB/octave) crossover, and can (If you so choose) even be improved. With an active crossover and a bi-amp setup, you can get a 24dB/octave crossover going, which will result in the cleanest possible signal to the speakers.

As such, I would probably recommend the 4X6 component plate. But not because of brand name.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.