Need some Help, JL 500/1 10W7 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2004, 11:39 PM   #1
jl4life is offline jl4life  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need some Help, JL 500/1 10W7 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab

Hopefully sombody can help me,

This is my first system and i decided to go with the JL 10W7 w/ the JL 500/1 Amp. I bought both off of ebay after doing plenty of research.

Im considering installing everything myself, the sub is already in a custom built sealed box.

First off, is it even worth it for me to try doing this? or should i just save a bit more money and pay someone who knows what their doing. And how much should i pay?

Second , if i do install this myself what cables do i need, and what brand do you recommend? Ive seen the Monster Cable amp install kits, but it doesnt look like it comes with cable for the remote power on, or any other cables needed to hook the factory head unit to the amp.

Third and last, has anyone installed a system in an extended cab sonoma? and do you have pics you can send me? im afraid im gonna screw up big time. what is the best way to route the cables? the box and amp will sit behind the drivers seat.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 6th October 2004, 01:15 AM   #2
clayton is offline clayton  United States
diyAudio Member

Being that you have never installed before, this could be a big challange for you. You will need to use at least 4ga. power & ground wire ( I like stinger amp kits personally) You need to have the powewr wire fused no more than 18" from the batt. Make sure you have your amp fused also. The ground wire needs to be connected to the frame/chasis as short as poss. by no means any longer than 3 ft.. Make sure you scrape all paint & dirt or rust( needs to be clean) Do not use the seat bolts for grounding. Run power & remote wire down opposite side of speaker/rca cables to prevent feedback. Since your hu is stock you will need a LOC ( line out convertor). This will enable you to connect your rca cables to your hu.
Old 6th October 2004, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The first system and install is always quite the adventure!

I'm not sure I can be of too much help, but I wanted to share these pictures with you. I was going to look through them for an extended cab, but there were just so many results that I decided I'd just give you the straight link. I'm not sure if you were aware of it (It's well known, so I consider it very possible), but I find it's a great place for looking at example installs because of the huge number of cars. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of how to hide the cables from there.

http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pa...C&model=Sonoma

Hide this!Advertise here!