SPL with tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
KECl88 said:
Do the cars have to get dressed off on the inside for better performance?

I don't know about your contest, but the ones in Vancouver area are like a big carshow. However, judging is on SPL only with esthetics being a completely seperate category.

There was a Washington state team there with HUGE horns out of their truck box, doing a full curl ending facing the front, looking like ram horns (the truck was a Dodge too!). He came in second with only 10 watts/channel into the horns! He would have come in first had his horns gone below 50Hz.

Amplifier power can be irellevant in a SPL competition - it's all about speaker efficiency. Look for some 120dB horns. The kidz that typically enter those have kilowatts, sure, but driving ~80dB effecient(?) speakers.

obviously you've never been involved in car audio :eek: and at 26 im not exactly a kid anymore and i've been competing for near on 6 years now! and build me a sub thats 100db efficient and can handle 10k of power and not explode from the pressue accociated from the 160db plus numbers we do in comps, unfortunaly with car audio subs they have to be built strong and need thicker heavyer cones and larger coils and heavyer windings to take the huge amout of power we put into them,

spl competition is all sub 80hz frequency's, wether its the old audiocontroll meters or the new thermlab ones, box tuning and car type are very important as is power! more the better ;) speaker efficency can be important but once you put your sub in a box(ported,sealed etc) and into a confined cars interior that all changes.

you dont use your fronts obviously as the meter only reads below 80hz because of a filter and will read an illegal run if you play anything over that, you use a test tone of your peak freq determined buy you having acces to a meter before hand and doing the testing on your car to determine its peak freq, every car will have a diferent peak due to every car being a different size and shape, when you know the cars peak you tune a sub/box to suit.

remember spl competition has nothing to do with music! its all about creating pressure and lots of it and creating pressure rapidly with lots of force! this is why people use 10,000wrms of power into single 15" subs, i can speak with experience on this cause my own extreme spl car for dbdrag competion uses this amount of power into a single 15" DD sub(93db efficient if you want to know) and i've yet to destroy it :) due to it being tuned and setup correctly and using care' it can take that power with ease for the 2 seconds required to get a reading on the meter,

amazing 10 grand worth of sub and amps so it can play a 2 second tone :rolleyes:
oh and those batteries are exactly that' for power! some big spl setups that have multiple amp setups drawing thousands of amps of current :eek: (thats what happens when you have like a total power output of like 50-100,000wrms :D and im not joking and yes there are subs around that are built specifially to handle 50,000wrms each!! i can think of 3 comercially availible ones) and all that has to come from somewhere, also we can use higher voltages up to 18v(in the rule book) mine uses 16v batteries to take advantage of amps with unregulated power supplies and very underated outputs and to prevent voltage drop plus it will draw less current at higher voltages.

but this is in extreme situations which your obviously not into, if you want to get into the spl comptition first go to a few comps and see what goes on and get advice from the other people that compete and once you find out what format of comp there running in your area get a rulebook and go for it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.