How many watts a usual car cassette player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PMPO: This will be whatever number som marketing exec thought sounded good. Relating this number to actual power takes place only in some imaginary construct. This is a number that I will ignore in all cases.

I put my old (Circa 2001) Pioneer MOSFET deck on a scope, and measured what it actually put out. It was rated for 40WX4. At .1% THD (which is horrible) it was putting out about 9W RMS, into a real speaker. Into a dummy load, it could go to 11W. At distortion numbers which I can't see speakers surviving very long, it got into the 30W range. By this time what was coming out would have been barely recognisable as the program material.

I have yet to see a deck that can match my 30WX4 1994 Alpine V-12 MRV-F300. My current Alpine deck has never had the speaker leads connected to anything, so I couldn't even tell you if the internal amplifier works. :)

sss said:
theres one chip i dont remember the part number that can pull out 40 W @4 ohms rms from single 13.8V supply

Not possible without boosting the supply voltage. Theoretical maximum is 13.8V pk-pk which is 4.9V rms, and about 6 watts rms with 4 ohms. With a bridge circuit, voltage doubles and power quadruples to about 24 watts. That's at some nasty distortion point, too.

The Alpine V units boost the internal supply to 17 volts I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.