My Carputer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2004, 03:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Carputer

Still Deepely in works, but some pics to show u little progress-

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sweetrobot/Carputer/

and three mroe updated pics of the screen mounted (though i need to remount- sits too low on passenger and shifter, so it has prob sliding over center console)

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/sweetrobot/

check out
DSC00807.JPG
DSC00809.JPG
DSC00810.JPG

So far, I have a special DC-DC power supply (200W) that cost about $200, an inverter from walmart for $25 or so, a shutdown controller $20, allowing the pc to turn on with ignition, and PROPERLY shut down when i turn off iginiton, automatically. The pc itself is a dell gx260 with a slim line dvd rom. I removed all the plastic casing of the box, and reduced it quite some, enough to slide under the driver's seat with the power supply, which sits outside the pc box as it cannot fit inside. i detached the dvd rom and used an external USB ide drive kit, to convert the rom to USB, and integrated it into the vehicle's center console. (The faceplate for the dvd rom, as u can see in pics, is actually part of the usb drive kit enclosure, which i didn't use ) The sceen is a 15" ultrasharp dell/Panasonic display components, which i modified in order to integrate my 15" usb touchscreen kit. The kit was external, but i modified the faceplate/ screen border of the display unit in order to be able to fit the touchface behind it- looks decent( i just had to cut out some of the inner bordering, and a slit for the usb wire). the kit was $150. All in USD.

To do: going to add a gps antenna, they're pretty cheap, and service is free! In US anyway. Accuracy to within 3 meters.
Also thinking of adding a rolluyp wireless keyboard, but that's nothing more that interfacing crap.
Old 22nd September 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to SupraGuy Send a message via Yahoo to SupraGuy
Looks good.

Not sure about that screen size, though, I just can't see where that would fit that it's not in the way of too much stuff. On the other hand those little 7" screens are just so small... ANd the touchscreen interface is nice. No need for a mouse.
Old 26th September 2004, 05:35 AM   #3
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
that 15" monitor is massive in the car

Good on ya!

If you could find a program that makes thumbnail images real fast..you could make a little page so that 56kers could see what theyre getting first
This is the sort of thing id love to do-along with DIY SMPS and subamp..
Old 27th September 2004, 07:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default proper forum for htis

The best start for this sort of thing is here, in my opinion:
www.mp3car.com

go to forum section
Old 27th September 2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Chupa is offline Chupa  United States
diyAudio Member

i did something like this with my old neon...
Click the image to open in full size.

anyway... theres programs out there which are mare specificaly for "media center" computers which are great for the car. im gona have to look for them again cus it has been a while sence i did this. they do what you would expect, organize music/movies. Create thumbnails for dvd/divix/xvid rips and display them. when i did this in my neon i picked up a usb keypad thingy, ment for laptops so acountants could have a full sized keypad when on the road... and mounted it on the dash. it had arrrow keys and enter as well so you could pritty much navigate throught out entire system with it.

On top of that i also got a wireless KB and mouse. it was one of thoes gyro mouse that you can use in mid air by moving ur wrist so u dont need a flat surface. http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-fsk.htm

im going to try and find the media center program again. it was real good looking and had themes and all that crap. its a good thing to have.

by the way... u live in tampa? im over here in clearwater... just got owned by jeanne.... no power :-(
Old 27th September 2004, 06:22 PM   #6
Chupa is offline Chupa  United States
diyAudio Member

overlooked ur link...

yea http://www.mp3car.com/software.php
has a bunch of them

http://www.mediaengine.org/ was a favoret of mine

Hide this!Advertise here!